Itchy scalp

• 4 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi, new here so apologies if this should be somewhere else but my wife has had a primary brain tumour removed and has just finished a combined six week course of radio and chemotherapy. She’s lost some hair, particularly around the area where she has the radiotherapy, but has kept the rest. Her whole scalp is now really itchy - has anyone else has this and can you recommend any way I can help please? Type of shampoo/treatment etc… Thank you

• HI GBM Husband

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. Life really is too cruel.

My husband was diagnosed GBM4 in Sept 2020 so I understand what you are going through. After his 6 weeks of radiotherapy/chemo he too had an itchy scalp. The CNS gave him some ZeroBase cream to ease the itch. We also tried aloe vera gel. Basically we treated it like sunburn and it did settle quite quickly. He shaves his head so I can't help with shampoo suggestions, I'm afraid.

This group is a safe supportive space so please reach out anytime. You might also want to explore Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumour forum - Macmillan Online Community and  \Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community. Personally I've drawn a lot of support from these. There's always someone around to listen who "gets it".

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Hope you get something to ease your wife's discomfort soon. Sending you both a huge virtual hug. Please remember to take care of yourself too here. This is a tough roller coaster ride but you'll get there.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi - thanks very much for all of that, I really appreciate it. Those look like great suggestions for both treatments and different places to check out on the site. I hope things are going okay for your husband and huge hugs back to you too, thank you.

• Hi 

I had the same (without the surgery) 

the best shampoo is Simple - I used my favourite conditioner on the ends (didn’t have touch the scalp) I this was more for the smell

Where it’s itchy - baby oil really helps 

The radiologist offered  some cream but they said baby oil actually works best

hope this helps x

• Thanks very much for that Charlotte, I’ll get some supplies in! Much appreciated x