Alternative to Keppra

• 3 replies
  • 34 subscribers

My dad was put on Keppra just under 4 weeks ago. The last 2 weeks he has been in and out of hospital with infections, sleeping 23 hours in a day, hallucinations and complete confusion. he was doing so well before this, and seems too much of a coincidence to be anything else. 
Drs neither agreed or disagreed that this has been caused by Keppra and just wondering if anyone else experienced this and what was the alternative anti convulsant?

Just to add….dad suffers with an aggressive form of gmb grade 4. chemo didn’t work and has been stopped, though no changes in size of tumour noted since stopping chemo. 
thank you for your time x

• HI Katie366, 

welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about your dad.

My husband has GBM4 and has been on Keppra for just over a year with no adverse effects.  I would advise speaking to your dad's medical team in the first instance and raise your concerns. We have our Ask an Expert section who may be able to offer some guidance, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Something I noticed a while ago, my husband didn't tolerate steroids very well and I've seen others comment along the same lines on here. could that be something to do with things?

Hang in there. Stay strong

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello Katie, from personal experience, you can have new and very strong symptoms without the MRI showing anything for months. The situation in the brain is very fluid, it can change by the minute. For example the (damaging) effects of the chemo could be manifesting after the chemo has stopped. And of course there is the cancer itself, and a GBM does not typically sit still. Regarding anti epileptics, I have tried a few and read testimonies from dozens of patients, it almost seems like not two people tolerate them in the same way and they are not similarly (in)effective either. Neurologists have their favourites which they prescribe, so it depends who you're seeing. Also they many times use combos and change the dose until they find a combo that works for the particular patient. If you suspect the Keppra you could ask to be switched to an older drug called carbamazepine (Tegretol).

• thanks, akist. 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm