My partner glioblastoma grade 4

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi , anyone their that's finding copping with someone with a brain tumor extremely hard and overwhelming,I  finding this all so hard to cope with.I would really appreciate anyone's advice. I feel on the verge of tears all the time,but keep it to myself.

• HI

yes! 

My husband  (51years old) was diagnosed with a GBM4 last September. It's been an emotional rollercoaster ride to say the least. In three short weeks our lives as a family changed forever.  He's coped really well all things considered. 

One of the hardest things to deal with, now that the initial shock of the diagnosis has worn off, is that he thinks this is just his issue and can't see or chooses not to see that the kids (23 &21) and I are going through this journey with him. 

I find it hard to be "me". I feel that I need to be strong for him, for the kids, strong in front of my work colleagues and my friends.

Early on in this journey, someone advised me to take time for myself. Encouraged me to make sure I kept doing the things that were important to me and keep myself in good shape physically and emotionally but also not to feel guilty to taking that time for myself.

So my advice is keep doing what you're doing. You're going through this hell too but make time for yourself - walk/run, go to the gym, rad a book, listen to music- whatever it is that helps you hold onto "you."

This online community is also a great place to find support from folk who "get it".

Hang in there. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Monty 09,

I am also going through the same as you and Wee me. Its all so hard, because brain tumours seem to affect the whole body from top to toe, including and especially the way the mind works.

My husbands mobility was affected first (just over a year ago) and now his speech and memory are going slowly. He  has been in a hospice for two weeks now for respite and is due home today. He has told me its purgatory and has wanted to come home from the second day in there. It was his choice and apparently he is a model patient! Its just me that gets the grief every day I visit. I am hoping he will be slightly calmer at home. We are having carers 4 times a day. It is just not possible to cope alone. Take any help you can and please have some time to yourself, in whatever form you can, even if its just watching TV or sitting in the garden etc. I have had to go into another room when my husband has a go at me. I'm told that this is what happens, they always hurt the ones they love. He does normally apologise and I know he can't help it, it is the disease that is affecting him.

If you have access to a Macmillan nurse, ours is great and has been real help to us both.

Take care and look after yourself as well (have a good cry if it helps, it isn't a sign of weakness, just a normal reaction to this massive change in your life).

Best wishes,

Llamalover xx