Losing driving licence

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 32 subscribers
  1. Surgery for GBM4 in January 2019. Standard response is to lose your driving licence for 2 years. Has anyone successfully got their licence back? I can't even get a response from the DVLA
  • Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I don't have any personal experience of having to reapply for my driving licence, but I noticed that your post hasn't had any response yet.

If you click here it will take you to the DVLA's page on reapplying for a driving licence following a medical condition.

Under 'how to reapply' it says "DVLA will send you a letter when your licence is taken away ...... The letter will tell you if there’s a period of time you need to wait before getting a new licence. You can then reapply 8 weeks before the end of this period."

There are then links to help you select the correct form to reapply and to tell you how to go about it. I don't know if you've already done this when you say that you can't get a response from the DVLA so I'll apologise in advance if I'm telling you something you've already done.

Let us know how you get on.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• They are notoriously slow. You need to apply and then they write to your consultant and he fills in some form. The requirements are steady appearances for a long time (eg a year) and no seizures for one or two years. In other words no new symptoms, steady on the MRI, no seizures of any form. The main point behind this is that if there is a serious accident, there may then follow an investigation and questions will be asked and you may find your self uninsured for any damages, which in the worst possible cases can run into the millions and peoples' lives. With high grade cancers it is quite hard/impossible to go two years + their delays with no changes at all in the appearances and/or treatments.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I have had my licence back following a resection in Jan 2017 followed by radio therapy and TMZ for AA on a GBM background.

I had a seizure in jJan 2019 just as I was ready to apply for my licence back so unfortunately had to wait another year to be seizure free.

Yes you have to be scan clear and seizure free for a year but I would recommend to apply a couple of months prior to that so that by the time they receive the application and write off to the consultants it will most likely be two years.  You will most likely be best in chasing the medical secretary to confirm dates they have confirmed information to the DVLA.  The last process was to go to the Eye clinic to get a special test to check fitness to drive then hopefully you will be good to go.

The licence they sent had validity for a year then I had to reapply again (to which I did a couple of months prior again).to then get another yearly licence.

All the best for the application for your licence , take care, Abby