Newbie with suspected bowel cancer

• 2 replies
  • 176 subscribers

I, just want to share with some people who might understand really.

V worried about symptoms. Longstanding fatigue (years!), now constipated for 4 weeks (not something that's ever been an issue) with abdominal pain and sciatica. Seems I have a partial blockage with fecal impaction. Taking laxatives (lots of all the kinds under GPS instructions), with v slow improvement. Should I be concerned that senna isn't helping much? I was expecting it to make a dramatic difference! Blood tests clear but still waiting for FIT, h pylori and calprotectin. 

Not been referred on 2ww yet and feeling annoyed as I think I should have been based on my age and symptoms regardless of tests.

I'm also recovering alcoholic, anxiety, depression and 4 kids and obvs my mind is going nuts. I am feeling like I "just know". Like I said, thought I should share, hoping to find support here Pray

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the board. Yes it’s a worrying time waiting for results but try to focus on the fact that it’s suspected at this point and not confirmed. I’m not sure why you’ve not been immediately put on the 2 week pathway - when I was diagnosed in 2016 I was told 2 or more boxes ticked on their check sheet warranted a faxed referral. 

There are several conditions that can cause similar symptoms to bowel cancer such as polyps, colitis, irritable bowel, and only 1 in 10 colonoscopies results in a bowel cancer diagnosis. Hopefully you’ll get the results of your tests back soon and can discuss the next stage with your GP.

Have you considered warm prune juice to help with your constipation? 
    I’ve attached a link to a post below with some information about dealing with worry and anxiety and hope that might help?

Controlling anxiety and panic 

Take care and please keep us posted?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you!

Yes, I've only now realised I could have been referred straight away. Dr said they would ask for blood and stool tests anyway. When I presented the previous week she referred me to a&E to scan for caudus equinus (urgent nerve compression thing I think) due to the sciatica/back/tummy pain combo. But they just tested that I could feel sensations in my legs and my reflexes and said it was constipation. 

Shame I have to wait more than 2 weeks now as she knows my anxiety. Got an appointment on Monday.

Got the prune juice but haven't tried warming it yet, will give that a go.

Thanks Pray really appreciate the support