Controlling anxiety and panic

• 7 replies
  • 137 subscribers

I'm going through treatment (Capox) for colon cancer and also have Panic Disorder. My cancer diagnosis sent my anxiety levels sky high and I just wanted to share something I found helpful.

The Sherwood Forest Hospitals website has some very useful relaxation audio files that I used to reduce my stress levels - and they worked. You'll find them here under "Managing stress":

https://www.sfh-tr.nhs.uk/our-services/clinical-psychology-cancer-service/feeling-stressed/

I hope someone finds them useful.

• This is brilliant and a great resource to the forum . If you don’t mind I will bookmark this thread and I can use it for others to gain help from .

Half the battle in the early days and all resources welcome .

Thank you for your openness and willingness to share .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

•   Just wondered if you might find this helpful?

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • No problem at all court.

Just to add that I found the earlier I used these exercises and the more I used them the more effective they were. At first the results were noticeable but further use led to deeper and deeper relaxation which reduced my anxiety and averted crippling panic attacks.

With frequent use, I also found that eventually I didn't need to listen to the recordings and could just do the exercises in my head.

Also I downloaded the audio files to my phone so that I could perform the exercises wherever I was, including during my infusions (although I never found this necessary).

They also proved useful for getting off to sleep at night.

• Thank you MicroMaster

Brilliant link I wish that I’d used it when I was trying to process the info of my diagnosis. 

I got caught for £50 hypnosis app. I thought it was free admittedly I was in a pickle

Ann
     ‍Art

• I'm sorry to hear that, Ann. There should be no need to pay for this kind of help. The internet is full of free relaxation exercises (just use Google). YouTube is also a good source of informational videos on anxiety and panic attacks/disorder. But I understand how easy it is to jump at any "cure" when in the throes of panic.

One of the best things I ever did was to undergo a course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It's come on leaps and bounds since I did it about 40 years ago and I'm currently waiting for a "refresher" course. In my area you can self refer to a psychologist, but the waiting list is long. If you have a cancer diagnosis your Macmillan Support Worker can also refer you.

All the best, Steve.

• Another link on Youtube that I found very helpful was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21fp9HLBqqI&list=PLLLHgjmNNVTFLsF-SjiT2cnjVPENLoVIm&index=15

This guy has a series of videos on panic attacks and anxiety which explains why they happen and how to overcome them. Hopefully others will also find them useful.

• Thanks  for sharing this. I’m going to bookmark this and have a closer look through tomorrow.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm