Just diagnosed with rectal cancer so scared

• 28 replies
  • 173 subscribers

Hello 

I’ve just had a colonoscopy and a 4cm tumour was found in my rectum. Biopsy’s were taken but I was told she was certain what it was. I’m waiting for scans to see if it has spread and an MRI scan. I’m so scared and thinking is this the end for me now? I’m 48 with 2 young children. How would they cope if I died. I’m heartbroken. Please I just need to chat with someone going through the same x

• Hi scared__mummy

I'm so sorry to hear your news and really feel for you. Xxx

• Hi and a warm welcome to the board from me. Yes it’s a hell of a shock isn’t it but Bowel Cancer is very treatable nowadays and there will be lots of us here on the board to support you through this. The next few weeks will be very stressful while you wait for scans, results, meetings etc. but once you have a treatment plan in place then things will feel a little better - honestly. My first piece of advice would be to stay away from google - it’s out of date and downright scary in places. You can ask anything you want on here - there is nothing too daft or embarrassing.

If you click on my name then it will take you to my profile page. I was diagnosed with a 4cm tumour in 2016 which shrank to 1cm after chemo radiotherapy. I had surgery followed by mop up chemo and I passed my 4 year cancer free anniversary in November. 

It will be a tough 12 months ahead but it’s doable - take a deep breath and take it 1 step at a time. The scans that you’re having are standard procedure and not that they suspect anything untoward. 

Please keep posting and let us know us how you’re getting on. Sending you a big virtual hug for now

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you for your reply.

I spoke with a lovely Macmillan nurse today after my colonoscopy, she’s calling me next week. I was suffering with problems for a while now but was praying for it to be piles and IBS. My Dad was misdiagnosed many years ago and his bowel perforated. So it was always in the back of my mind but you never really think it will happen to you. I love to read a positive story like yours, it’s gives me hope. Thank you again for sharing x

• Hello scared_mummy

i had my colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and I’ve found out I’ve got sigmoid cancer . I met my team on Thursday and they have given me lots of information. I’ll be having surgery in a few weeks . 
    The waiting time I found the hardest . Once you have the facts and a plan I hope you find it easier to come to terms with . I’m 49 so we are classed as ‘young’ . I’m lucky that my children are older in their twenties so am finding it easier to be a little selfish . I find for me knowledge is powe , it helped looking at the bowel cancer uk site and this site looking at the various pathways regarding treatment. It is scary there is no denying but you will find an inner strength you didn’t know you had x good luck Dawn 

• Thank you for your reply.

it still doesn’t feel real, it’s like I’m in a bad dream and I really want to wake up. I’ve just got to wait for phone calls for my scans, i just want this thing cut out and gone I hate it. My children are 11 and 9 I didn’t know whether to tell them but they’re not daft and knew something was going on and I broke down when I walked in the house tonight x

• @Scared_mummy your kids are strong too , you’ll think of something to tell them I know you will because that’s a mums instinct . This bit is definitely the worst and I can hear how frightened you must be . It’s easier said than done I know but try and take a deep breath and take one step at a time . I’m not sure how much more information you were given or whether you were given the colonoscopy report ( I was ) I was then able to search through these forums to get information . 
    You must be in terrible shock . Xx 

• Hi Scared_Mummy,

I can feel just what you are going through. I'm a survivor of rectal cancer from 2004. Feels like a long time ago now but it felt like a black dog sitting on my shoulder at the time. I tried to take myself out of the cancer box and do some family fun things (difficult in these present times I realise). Once you have a plan of action you can get through this. 

Sending you hugs and positive vibes x

• Thank you for your reply and your positive story.

I just said to my husband I feel like there’s a black cloud hovering over me. I can’t remember the last time I ate anything I just can’t stomach food. We used to have lovely family days out at farms, zoos etc I’d do anything to have one of those days right now x

• Try to eat small, frequent, nourishing meals, it's important for your recovery and healing. Is it possible to have a walk close to home around trees, parks, beach or nature? That always makes me feel a bit better when things are tough. I had a wonderful Macmillan nurse who supported me and referred me to the local hospice for alternative therapies, it was like ''Time Out'' x

• Dear S/M

On the 24/01/18 I had 'a large tumour ' (surgeon's words) removed - life's been good since.  Don't give up - there is far more than hope, there's a good future ahead with your children.  The highlight since surgery for me was boiling alive in the Estadio Metropolitano with one of my sons watching Jordan Henderson, having lifted the European cup,  hug his Dad, a cancer survivor.  You're in the worst time now, it WILL get better.

YNWA

Mike