Aggressive Metastatic Prostate Cancer in bones

• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

Hi,

I’m new to this forum but I have spent the last few months dipping in and out of these chats hoping to read some real experiences which could help me make sense out of mine.

My dad has Metastatic Prostate Cancer in his bones. He was diagnosed Dec 21 with Advanced Prostate Cancer and has undergone hormone therapy and radiotherapy since. We found out in Feb that it’s not working and that he now needs chemo as a final option to get the cancer under control. The cancer has spread rapidly in his bones resulting in surgery on his leg to strengthen the bone due to the damage the cancer has caused. It’s confirmed that he has tumours all over his body; both legs, pelvis, spine, ribs, shoulders and arms. 

Dad was discharged from hospital in mid March and was told to build his strength up for chemo. Two weeks later he had deteriorated and his consultant told him he was far too weak. He’s now been sent home again to improve his eating and mobility to try and get his strength up for his next consultant visit at the beginning of May, but I’m terrified that he’s only going to get weaker the longer treatment is delayed.

We know dad’s cancer is aggressive because it spread quickly from January to March so waiting a further 6-8 weeks in my mind will just mean the cancer will spread further? Dad is struggling so much just to eat, stay awake and walk, I’m worried he will never have the strength to start chemo and it’s truly breaking my heart to see him like this. Has anyone been through a similar situation and can offer some reassurance or advice please? 

Thank you for your time. 

• Hi DatesandDonuts and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read how much your dad is struggling at the moment and it must be an incredibly hard time for you all.

As you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups so can I encourage you to also post this in the more active prostate cancer group as I'm sure you'll find people there in a similar situation to your dad.

It would be great if you could pop something about your dad's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"