Pallative care

• 6 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi

My hubby had all clear for tonsil x as ncer about month ago but szdly was told its spread to spine and pelvic and now pallative care. 

But a week ago he had spine surgery for

Metastatic spinal cord compression (MSCC) is a rare but serious condition that occurs when cancer spreads to the spine and presses on the spinal cord

He was sent home friday with bag of pills.  No district nurse in place, nothing in place at home to help him bath.  Nothing.  No one has changed his dressings.   Hes using walking sticks and in a neck brace and in horrendous pain. Surley being pallative care someone should be Coming out.      Does anyone know if this s ould of been put in place.

• Hello Cazza2190

I am really sorry to hear about your husband. I can understand your concern and he most certainly needs support- as do you. 

I would suggest calling the hospital where he had the surgery and asking what is being put in place for him.

I would also give his GP surgery a call this am and ask whether they can arrange for the district nurse to come out today and check his dressings and assess the situation in the first instance. And also to ask for help in managing his pain.

The GP should also be able to talk you through the palliative care in your area and what happens now. I think the first urgent thing though is to deal with the post op pain and dressings and immediate needs. 

I hope that they can see him today, get him more comfortable and offer you both some reassurance and support.

If you would prefer to talk things through first then please do give the Support Line a call. The details are below. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thankyou, ive just rang and spoke to velindre they now sorting what is needed and not impressed hes been left. 

Hes been fighting tonsil cancer since last november and got all clear but told it spread to spine and pelvic its been a very hard emotional journey. X. 

• Hi Cazza2190,

My original cancer has spread to my lymph nodes and upper spine but I also have an unrelated and unresolved spinal cord compression. I got a lot of OT (occupational therapy) support from my local hospice, to whom I self-referred. Tips and gadgets to make life a little easier. It might be an idea to contact your local hospice and see what services you can access through them but as Jane says sort out hubby’s medical needs first. I also think the hospital should have put together a care plan for your husband before discharging him. You could try raising the issue through PALS.

Hope things get better.

Maninbath

• Thankyou so much.    Hubby just had a spine surgery for Mcss,  can i ask what PALS  is please x

• I am glad you have spoken with someone. I have just popped a link at the bottom for PALS which should help. 

I am really sorry that you are both facing this after getting the all clear on the tonsil cancer.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm