Diagnosed with secondary bone cancer

• 3 replies
  • 15 subscribers

I went for a routine MRI scan for a suspected slipped disk in my back on 28th December. The Radiographer sent me straight to A&E where eventually I was told I had secondary bone cancer which is pressing on my spine, hence the pain. I have had further tests to try and locate the primary cancer location but it hasn't been found. Me and the wife are in bits.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with secondary bone cancer with no primary located yet. Having had two cancer diagnoses I completely understand how shocking it can be to be told that you have cancer. Most of us find that once we know what our treatment plan is we feel more in control and I hope this will be the case for you too.

As you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups so I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also join the secondary bone cancer group as it's a great place to ask questions and share experiences with others in a similar position to yourself. There is also an unknown primary cancer group which you might want to look at joining if your hospital team are unable to find your primary.

To join either or both of these groups, just click on the links I've created which will take you directly there. You can then join and start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Willy, I hope three months later you are doing well and managing to come to terms with it, it is an awful shock and takes some processing.  My story is not too dissimmilar to your own.  Mine was found following routine x rays and I thought I had a trapped nerve just a month ago.  Turned out I had lung cancer primary and bone cancer.secondary.  I never had pain anywhere except my left leg from the tumour on my spine.  It was so painful, never felt anything like it.  Emergency  radiotherapy helped tons and i got out of pain.  I was okay, but my husband fell apart, it was awful.  I realised then that family and friends were going to need some support and that spurs me on.  But I understand only too well what I call the 'scaries through the night'  Trust each other, and let each other in to your inner feelings.  We found sharing our feelings was so helpful.  We cried together and smiled together, yes we smiled too.  We had a great insight into each others world.  Its tough at the beginning and there were a lot of tears, But it got easier, once it became more normal to just talk about it all the bad bits too it became less scary.  id be interested to know how you are doing now? Wishing you all the very best  in your journey.

• Hello. I am  sorry, I also have Secondary  Breast cancer . 4 years ago. I   have  bone cancer with it in several  places and have being undergoingng chemo weekly. It is extremely  hard was diagnosed with bone cancer 20 months ago. Pain and numbnesdn feet and legs. Looking for best treatment to keep me mobile.. peripheral  neuropathy and all goes with it. On daily steriods  up all night and if i am lucky i hour in 24 hours.which is taking it toll. It is lovely  you have family to talk to and have full support  from them it is so difficult for all the family. Stay positive treatment  is  ..outthere.

Best treatment  fir mobility.? Reflexology/.massage any ides. Good luck