Bone cancer

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I was diagnosed with secondary bone cancer in June and are coming to the end of 6 months chemotherapy on 23rd December. The lymph glands in my neck have responded to chemo. The cancer is in my scapular, spine and pelvis. I am to go on to fortnightly injections and tablets on the 9th January. I feel desolate and broken, but I'm trying very hard to be "fine" for my 2 grown up children and friends. How do I cope with life now or the lack of it.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read how you're feeling at the moment and I'm wondering if you've had a chat with your hospital team or GP as they both have a duty of care regarding your emotional health as well as your physical health.

You may not be aware but Macmillan have teamed up with Bupa to offer up to 6 free counselling sessions for people who are struggling emotionally because they are living with cancer. Clicking here will give you more information about it along with how to apply.

Sending some big (((hugs))) your way

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• thank you for your encouraging words, I will get in touch with my hospital team

• Hello Linedancer, if I read correctly, you said that you are responding to chemotherapy, this is excellent news going forward. I was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in October 2021 after I fell and broke my femur bone, in honesty I thought the news was pretty much a death sentence.  My treatment at that time was planned to be 6 cycles of chemo, after the first 3 cycles I was informed the chemo had little effect on the tumour, I was devastated but held hope that the operation to remove the tumour would be successful. 

In April 2022 my tumour was operated on and a lot of muscle and tissue was taken away, the professor came to see me in HDU shortly after I woke up and said he was confident he and his team had got all the cancerous tissue and bone out, it was all replaced with metal (endoprosthetics). I awaited the histology report for weeks, it was great news, all the cancer was removed. I had another cycle of chemo to mop up any rogue cells, I was then informed having the other 2 would probably do more harm to my body than good so we decided to not have anymore. 

In August that year I noticed my wound hadn't healed properly and was weeping, to cut a long story short, I had sepsis in the prosthetics. I was booked for another operation to clean it all out and again samples were sent to histology, they came back negative for cancer cells too! I'm now bring monitored every 3 months (CT), The first scan last October was clear.

I'm now at home trying to get back on my feet, I am managing to walk a little on elbow crutches and am slowly reducing my painkiller meds (morphine). During all of the above I had covid 3 times and sepsis 4 times, I thought I would lose my leg and felt terrible. Its hard and it's mentally draining too but I guess life, family and God made me realise "I can do anything " now I can tell you this. I had many dark days when I questioned if feeling terrible and in pain for months was what I wanted, again j found it within myself to fight, fight with every ounce of my being. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel I'm so glad I never gave in, even if I'm still somewhat incapacitated due to my leg.

Please talk about how you feel, look at you children, and fight for them and yourself, you can beat this horrible disease. 

I wish you the very best.

David (Dobber)