Husband having op for Chondrosarcoma

Hi All,

I am quite new to the boards, but have read some stories, so thought would add ours. Husband has been diagnosed with Chondrosarcoma. The tumour has grown from a rib probably, but is now near the spine, so quite large.

He has had one unsuccessful surgery to remove the tumour at Southampton, and 6 weeks of proton beam therapy in Manchester, 

We live in Dorset but head up to Oxford today ahead of his surgery at the John Radcliffe tomorrow. The op is expected to take 2 days this week, with possibly another day next week. Quite a lot of boney structures need to be removed to allow access for removal of the tumour, then reconstruction afterwards. The tumour is large and in an awkward place, and will cause big problems soon if not removed, so not much choice for husband but to go ahead with the op. He is likely to be in hospital at least a month, and recovery time is expected to be a year.

But he is only 48 so we just need to get through the operation and the recovery, and then get on with the rest of our lives. Our kids are 11,14 and 20, so just starting to get some freedom back as they become more independent, and we plan on making the most of that in the years to come. 

So, just wanted to say hi, and hopefully I will be back soon, reporting that the op went well, and we are on the road to recovery.  Sending best wishes to all living with this in their lives.

Vicky

• Hi Vicky and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write about your husband's diagnosis and treatment and I hope that his operations go well.

When you have a minute it would be great if you could pop something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"