Awaiting Diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice. My son is 6 and a half and has complained of a pain in his left leg for a few weeks now. It’s mostly been at night when he is going to bed or already in bed. It’s never been sore enough to upset him or require medicine so we assumed it was growing pains. A few days ago he went to get out of bed and when he stood and put weight on his left leg he screamed in pain and burst into tears. We sat him down for 10 mins to rest and distract him then we tried to get him up again and the same thing happened. He couldn’t really bear any weight on it. We took him down to A and E and they ran blood tests which all came back fine. They took an X-ray of his left femur and said there was increased lucency of distal femoral metaphysis and have booked him in for an MRI this coming Friday. He hasn’t had any other symptoms at all and this finding was almost incidental as hadn’t we taken him to A and E due to the extent of the pain they particular morning god knows when this would have come to light. The pain that day even totally disappeared after a few hours so I’m really not sure what to think. One Dr told us they were just booking the MRI as a precaution but another Dr was very apologetic telling us she was sorry as she knows this is a lot to take in etc. Pain is very inconsistent and when there usually only there for an hour or so then goes. Sometimes ache is only there for a few minutes then goes. From the day of his X-ray his MRI appointment was booked in for 9 days later - they said this was an urgent referral but not sure if this means it’s serious or not. When they’re canines his leg they couldn’t feel or see any swelling or lumps or bumps so the paint and the increased lucency of the X-ray are the only factors warranting the MRI. 

ive read a few people’s stories online about how they were diagnosed and some are super similar to what happened to us this week. I guess I’m trying to find out what symptoms other people age and how they were diagnosed. And based on their own experiences does this sound like it could possible be bone cancer? The pain is mostly just above who’s left knee in his thigh area but sometimes he says he can feel the ache in his shin or right at his knee too. 

appreciate any advice, stories or insight people can share. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear about your son's recent visit to A&E but it sounds like the doctors are doing all they can to get to the bottom of what might be wrong.

I didn't have bone cancer, so can't tell you about any symptoms I had, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any responses yet. While you're waiting for replies you might like to take a look at this information from Macmillan on the symptoms of bone cancer. It does say that these symptoms can be caused by other conditions that are far more common than bone cancer.

Do come back and let us know the results of the MRI and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you all Fingers crossed

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Keeks89,

Sorry enter made it post rather than go down a line . Did you get a diagnosis? My daughter has what gas been described to me by the doctor as a shadow on the bone. I'm not sure if this is a similar thing. I'm worried sick and not sure if it could be anything else and if so what. Thanks