Hi

• 9 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi, my name is Deb, but my nickname when I worked was always Dibdob Deb :-)  I am here because my 86 year old Dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer.

Basically he had blood in his urine back in May. He was sent for all sorts of tests and on 20th June he had a 5cm tumour removed from his bladder. All done very quickly but we were told the tumour was removed successfully and didn't really think it would be cancer, maybe naive on our part. 

A few weeks ago a scan showed it had already grown back to 5cm and we were told its a very aggressive cancer. 

He started chemo on Monday 7th, and we are hoping it helps to slow things down.

I've already read several posts on here so this forum should be very helpful. 

Deb

• Hi, welcome to the group. I'm sure you must be very worried about your dad - hope he copes well with the chemo. Others who have had chemo may be along to share their experiences & advice. Best wishes.

• Hi Deb, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your dad, I am sure you will be very worried. It may be useful to others on the forum who have had chemo and aggressive cancers ,if your dad is happy to share which chemo and the grade of cancer, whether it is non muscle invasive . This group are very supportive and knowledgeable with a wide range of bladder cancer grades and treatment. I hope you find us helpful to you and your dad.sending you a hug and best wishes.

Much love Angela x

• Thank you. Yes I will share more details. Dad won't mind at all.

Xx

• Thank you Angela.

Dad is having carboplatin and etoposide chemo.

The exact wording on his paperwork is:

Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the bladder 80%

Mixed with

Urothelial cell carcinoma G3/HG 20%

I'm sure that will mean ssomething to some of you.

We are still 'getting our heads around it all'.

Deb

• Thank you so much.  Yes it's a big worry and with his age as well we are concerned with how he copes with the chemo.

• Hi Deb. I had a similar regimen of chemo to your Dad over 6 weeks. I tolerated it quite well without any real side effects other than tiredness. It can make you dehydrated so it is important Dad drinks plenty of water. Have a bottle or glass handy to take regular drinks. Some people find a touch of lemon barley water in it helps to get it down better. After chemo is finished, he should then have some scans and more tests to see how effective it has been. They would then consider the next step. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thank you so much.  He said he feels OK at the moment but I keep expecting him to tell me he's having side effects, so hopefully he will not have many problems.

I will mention this all to him. 

I really appreciate your response.

Deb

• Thoughts go out to your dad and the family.  Hope all go's well . X