Awaiting tests

• 25 replies
  • 73 subscribers

I’m due for cancer tests and have had gross haematuria as my only symptom but I am unsure wether gross haematuria will mean a higher grade cancer as I had a lot of blood in my urine when my GP tested it . I am also concerned as my urine flow is now a little low that maybe the gross haematuria was not an early symptom but a later one and it has spread outside the bladder walls. I know I should try and calm down and relax but I’m really struggling with the waiting game and haven’t slept much in the last week since I had the haematuria.  I’m like a different person at the moment even though I have the best family ever. 

• Hi Philw well, you are in the right place for sensible and jolly useful advice on this forum. You have done exactly the right thing seeing medical advice immediately to try and diagnose the problem, which could have a number of possible causes. I am sure you are in good hands, and I hope they complete the tests quickly - it’s of course a concerning time, and waiting is always so hard.

Leo

• Hi  and welcome to the group. We know how stressful the waiting and not knowing can be. Although  blood in urine is a symptom of bladder cancer, it can be caused by other things but still needs to be investigated. The positive is you have been referred for tests. If it does turn out to be bladder cancer, then be aware bc can be treated successfully, and the amount of blood is not really an indication  of how advanced it is. The usual first test is a flexible cystoscopy which is a camera in to the bladder. A simple and painless procedure where you will be able to see for yourself if there is anything untoward there. They will then take it from there. Many of us have been there, so stay with us and ask any questions you like. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thanks for that 

• Appreciate your help 

• Hi philw,Welcome to this friendly group.The waiting is never easy but you are on the right track to get treatment.Best wishes Jane 

• Big ditto

It doesn't matter where you go, there you are
  • Hi Philw , its a really difficult time waiting for tests and results. I think its fair to say the anxiety can take hold ,we can be crabby or snappy with our loved ones, lack of sleep and excess worry is something I certainly have experienced. Be kind to yourself , dont give yourself a hard time, you are going through enough right now. 
    While we have no control over the waiting, I found that keeping busy as much as I could helped . I have a mindfullness and meditation app on my phone which teaches breathing techniques and helps me get to sleep. You are in the right place for support, the lovely folk on here know where you are at and will help you get through , giving the best advice. Stay intouch 

much love Angela 

Much love Angela x

• Thankyou Angela , 

• Hi Philw, welcome to the group as many have said, sorry you’ve had to join….. but you’re here now so use the group to help, answer questions, alleviate worries, etc

my journey started last May when I was peeing what looked like “beetroot juice” and that was like that continuously for 7wks, so I then needed an iron infusion to reboost my system due to the amount of blood loss, So guess they would class that as gross haematuria too. But when I was finally diagnosed my tumour wasn’t muscle invasive, and apparently early in the stages, that was also my only symptom.

I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to worry and think too far ahead, we all go through the panic and questions of all our aches & pains in our bodies, but thoughts are only thoughts until you have the facts. As others have said the waiting and unknown is a hard time, but it’ll all become clearer along your journey.

deep breathe, one step at a time..

best wishes

Julia x