Radiotherapy

• 5 replies
  • 67 subscribers

I have been offered a short course of radiotherapy for my "High risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer" Which has gone through the bladder wall into the pelvis. Would just like to hear any experiences of radiotherapy.

• Hi . I did 6 weeks of daily radiotherapy for muscle invasive BC. I also had combined chemotherapy on a couple of the weeks. The treatment itself is painless. No real side effects to talk about during treatment. A bit tired towards the end. Following treatment my bowels were a bit dodgy for a month or so, which is common with any pelvic radiotherapy. Is there anything in particular you are concerned about? Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thanks for the reply! I have had Irritable Bowel Syndrome all my life- over the years I have found the best way to manage it so it is no bother to me now . I am worried the about the effect of the radiation on my bowels! But we are all individuals so I will just have to see how I react I suppose! How bad is the tiredness?

• The tiredness wasn't too bad and I could function normally. It was more to do with the daily long round trips to the hospital. Treatment sessions only take about 15-20 minutes, but there is usually a lot of waiting around. I did get some bouts of fatigue after treatment finished, but that was due to the chemotherapy I had prior to the radiotherapy. Best wishes.

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Guys

I have just had my 3rd treatment of 20 and as you say it only takes about 15 mins and is painless. I also have a dose of gas/oxygen while having the treatment I believe it's a trial that they are carrying out at Mount Vernon Has anyone else heard of or is having this as well?

No side effects as yet but then I had none with my chemo either so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Good luck. 

• Hi . Good to know things are going well so far. Not come across the oxygen before. Hope things continue with no problems. Best wishes.

Community Champion Badge