From Kidney cancer to Bladder cancer

• 4 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Was diagnosed with kidney cancer not quite a year ago.  Had left kidney removed.  Was declared cancer free.  9 month check up bladder cancer diagnosed through follow up cystoscopy.  2 tumors. Has anyone else followed the kidney to bladder cancer path?  I have to wait 7 weeks for TURBT(?)  Due to recent bout of Covid - surgery guidelines are to wait 7 weeks.  Worried about the wait and possible progression.  

• Hello and welcome to he group, although sorry you find yourself here after having to go through kidney surgery. 7 weeks for a TURBT seems a long time, but not uncommon in current circumstances and shouldn't make a big difference in the great scheme of things, especially if caught early. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi and welcome Snoball

sorry to hear you have to wait, I’m not in your position however I had my 10 turbt June and have only just been given my resultsShrug

keep positive and the time flies, I was told I need an urgent MRI, CT Scan, cystoscopy. 
    MRI 11th Aug, ct 28th Aug and camera 30th Sept it is what it is and after those three I wait for my consultation from results crazy world of bladder cancer.

so many lovely people in this site stay with it and time flies

Gizie Cat 

• Hi Snoball, a similar thing happened to me. In August 2018 I was diagnosed with transitional cell cancer in my right renal pelvis and had that kidney and ureter removed. And like you, not long after being given the all clear for that I was diagnosed with non-muscle invasive papillary tumours in my bladder. I was given a TURBT and treated with a course of Mitomycin, but I had two more recurrences, detected at follow-up cystoscopies. I had another TURBT, and the next time I had a TURBT and a TURP. I was then put on a course of BCG treatment. I have had fifteen instillations over the last eighteen months or so, and so far there have been no recurrences  Not a lot of laughs, but I 'm able to do most of the things I would usually do, and Iseem to have managed to teach myself not to worry too much until I actually know there's something to worry about - in other words, I try not to think too far ahead, and concentrate on the here and now if I can.

It's a pain having to wait seven weeks for the TURBT though. The procedure is pretty straightforward - you wake up with a catheter, and that stays in place for a day or so. I've been sent home each time after mine, with a maximum of two nights in hospital.

Wishing you all the best,

Wallyzed

• Hi Snoball - like the monica, we sometimes call our cat Snowy by the name, although he hasn't got them any more!

Anyway I am further along the road in terms of disease progression. Urothelial cancer detected in Right kidney late in 2020. R kidney and ureter removed Jan 21. Then bladder tumours found in routine follow up cystoscopy later in year. TURBT carried out but cancer had invaded musle wall, so couldn't be 100% removed. Radical Cystectomy Jan 22. CT scan showed enlarged lymph nodes around May, confirmed as further cancer spread, by PET CT scans about 2 months apart.

So now started course of immunotherapy, as Chemo would be far too toxic for the remaining kidney to deal with, after my terrible experience with it following the kidney removal. Good luck with whatever treatment plan you follow.

KidneyBeen