New

• 7 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Just diagnosed with a bladder tumour two weeks ago and I go to hospital this week for TURBT. I THINK I know what to expect - but any advice would be welcome. My sister died of bladder cancer so I am a bit ultra - sensitive!

• Sorry you have a bladder tumour and to hear of your sister Janea.

I had a TURBT nearly 4 months ago now. It went very well for me. I was told, on leaving hospital, no pushing, no pulling, and no heavy lifting for 3 weeks. Also told to carry no more weight than a kettle with enough water in for two cuppas.

I asked if i could mow my lawn and was told no.

I had a 4.2cm tumour. And the lady that performed my TURBT was very pleased with how it went and said she'd got it all.

Best of luck with your op Jenea hope it goes well.....Del. 

• Hi and welcome to the group, although very sorry to hear about your sister. Good advice from Deloo. Bladder cancer can be treated successfully and the earlier it is caught the better. Many of us have been through it. The TURBT procedure is fairly straightforward in operation terms. Usually done in day surgery, but prepare for an overnight stay. stings for a bit when peeing for a few days. Biopsies will be taken which then determine the next step. A few weeks waiting for the results which is always an anxious time. Lots of support here, so please ask anything you like, or just chat with people who understand. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thanks to rily and deloo for reassuring responses! I am hoping i will get home the same day - luckily my son is able to stay with me which will help -- though I have had several general anaesthetics and never had any problems.  My sister was misdiagnosed for a long time - but that was over 20 years ago. The waiting is the hard part!!

• I think you're right. The waiting is the hard part.

I was very nervous. I was convinced, in my mind, everything was getting worse while i waited for my op.

I ended up having quite a laugh (sounds strange now seeing as how worried i'd been) in hospital with 4 other guys that were in for postrate related ops. 

I had to stay in overnight because i didn't go down for my op till 4pm and they wanted to see me weeing clearer water (i had a catheter) before they let me go.

I think if you go down early for op then there's more chance of going home same day. I suppose it's slightly different at different hospitals.

Del.

• Hi again Jenea. Things have come a long way in 20 years. After your op you will wake up with a catheter in. The bag will look like red wine. It will turn to Rose. When it looks like Chardonnay, they will let you go home as long as you can pee normally. In general, morning theatres go home same day if all goes well. Later ones they will keep you in. In the meantime, drink plenty of water to keep things flushed out. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thanks. I was afraid about the catheter - I have a problem with them. I have had several gynae ops and have always had great difficulty going normally once the catheter is removed. They sent me home with it still in once , trouble is it makes me so sore and painful. I have considerable difficulty already -- still, better to worry about that than the actual cancer I supppose!!

• I'm like you Jenea, have trouble with catheters coming out. Hopefully you will have it removed fairly quickly and that will give you time for your bladder to start acting.

If not you may come home with one and have it removed later.. 

Best of luck and hope all goes well for you.