Diagnosis

• 5 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi All

I'm new here.

My mum has just been diagnosed with bladder cancer this has become apparent after a mole being removed and a skin graft on her calf.

She has lots of clots she is passing and they keep flushing her out, they are now discussing removal of the bladder.

I'm not familiar with bladder cancer and just looking for any information from people who have been through this as we don't know what to expect.

• Hi and welcome to the group, although sorry to hear about mum. We understand how you must be feeling at the moment. Firstly, be aware that bladder cancer can be treated successfully and many of us are here to tell the tale. There are various treatments for bladder cancer and bladder removal is one. We have many members here living normal lives without their bladders and I am sure they will be along to share experiences. The more info you can give as to where mum is now regarding what she has had so far, the more we can help. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Many thanks for your reply.  She has has a visit from the cancer nurse today, they have explained that although the biopsy shows its cancer they are unsure which and how aggressive it is, so they want to take another sample of the muscle tissue and that will then determine what treatment will follow.  So I guess ta the moment its just a waiting game till we know more

• Hi . Follow up biopsies are normal and par for the course, so try not to read too much in to that. It will give them a clearer picture of what they are dealing with to come up with a treatment plan. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi Dawnie,Welcome from me too,I hope you will find the group helpful for you and your mum.Best wishes Jane

• Bladder cancer is a tumour growing on the inner wall of the bladder. Sometimes it will grow roots part way or all the way through the bladder mucle wall. Sometimes those roots can then affect other organs. This will be determined first with a little scope pushed up through the urethra. It has a camera on the end & she will be able to see inside. Next, a TURBT sometimes is carried out. This is a 1 night hospital stay with a larger tube being pushed up under anaesthetic. The doctor that then take a biopsy of the tumour to guage the stage & how aggressive it is.Sometimes the bladder can be saved with treatment, often on-going. Sometimes the bladder needs to be removed but this depends on the biopsy & discussions with your mother's oncologist. Sometimes, if surgury is required, several treatments of chemotherapy will be offered. The chemo is used to shrink the tumour & mop up any cancer cells floating around. In the meantime, try to make sure that your mother excercises, drinks water & works on her diet.