Stoma output?

• 29 replies
  • 49 subscribers

My 2 week old stoma (Urostomy) is producing loads of, how shall I say snot like mucus, which adheres to it, rather than getting washed away into the collection bag. This is making the clean up, as pert of the bag change operation, rather unpleasant! Is this a permanent feature of the ileal conduit, or just because the system is new, and hasn't yet been fully purged, a temporary state,that will subside in time? 

• I use Medilink. They call me every month to check the order & deal with the GP surgery. I then get my order direct by carrier in about a week. I've never had any trouble with number of bags or anything I ask for.

• Hi xbargee,I’ve probably made it sound worse than it is.I still change the bag often.I can always get in contact with the stoma nurses.Thank you.Best wishes Jane

• Hi all, I have a question about the situation overnight.

What if anything happens if I'm not connected to a night bag and am into a lovely, long deep sleep?

The day bag has a fixed capacity, which would clearly be exceeded, judging by what is in the night bag in the morning,

Does the system just back up and stop producing yet more liquid? Does the "bag full" sensation, if any, wake you up? Or does the worst scenario of a bag leak happen?

I have been amazed by just how much I have to get rid of in a typical day, seems to be far more than when I had a normal liquid waste disposal system, although I suppose it was not so readily apparent when not filling a bag prior to getting rid!

KidneyBeen

• The other night I felt so tired I fell asleep without plugging in the night bag.A couple of hours later I woke up to find the day bag at almost bursting point.I had a slight leak attaching the night bag but I was half asleep.I think the day bag being so full and pulling must have woken me up.Jane

• It's a very interesting question. I suggest that the bag would leak to reduce the pressure. It would also feel very uncomfortable for you due to the weight.

• Your system will not stop producing urine, and the bag will most definitely leak at the very least or burst off. Liquid always finds its way and your body doesn’t know what bag you have on or are connected to, and doesn’t care. It won’t just stop because the bag is full.

You may wake up in time but you may not. And yes, I’m speaking from experience.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Basil will never stop weeing, there is no switch off facility.  Basil felt very mischievous around 4 this morning. The nasty boy decided to leak.

I changed his bag and as it was 4 in the morning,  set my alarm for 7. I decided not to use the nightbag for these few hours. I was just wrong about that. I woke at 7, reset the alarm for 9. All well and good but I forgot to get up and empty Basil's bag. Needless to say, when I got up at 9 Basil's bag was very fat ugh.  Basil found this all very funny and is being so sarcastic lol

I could not go to sleep without my night bag.

I am pleased to say that my waterproof pads saved the bed.

Love Inanna x 

I know that I don't know
  • I don't think I will put it to the test, at least not on purpose anyway! There are nights, when sitting up watching recorded football or cricket, that I nod off, to wake in the early hours. I then usually have a fairly full bag to empty on route to bed!

KidneyBeen

• Yes,not advisable to test it out.I often nod off before bed and wake up with a full bag.My stoma must be taking advice from Inanna’s Basil today.Hopefully it has settled down as I’m about to go shopping.Jane x