BCG v Chemo

• 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi All. 

Please can I check what people’s experiences and thoughts are on this. From what I’ve read, BCG is more effective in preventing a recurrence of in situ low grade cancer than chemo, and for me immunotherapy makes more sense anyway. I am quite young ant 40 and have asked my consultant why they have recommended chemo instead and see if I have the option of BCG at this point.

Any feedback appreciated. Thank you. 

• Hi   And welcome to the group. Do you mean the chemo directly in to the bladder, usually Mitomycin? This can be used in low risk cases and is less toxic than BCG with lesser side effects. It is also used when there is a shortage of BCG which happens from time to time. Worth asking your team or CNS for a more comprehensive answer. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi Rily, 

Thanks for your reply. Yes it’s Mitomycin that has been recommended as intravesical treatment on the standard 6 week course. I see how it is somewhat low risk but it isn’t as effective I think I’d prefer BCG. It might as you say a supple issue thing too that I will ask further about. Thanks. 

• Hi  .We get mixed reactions here with both. In some cases where BCG has failed they go on to Mitomycin which then works for them and vice versa. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?