Just diagnosed- waiting for TURBT

• 23 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi I'm a 53 year old mum of 2.Just been diagnosed. I'm in pieces/shock. Can you gve me advice on how to  get as strong as possible, mentally and physcially  for the proceedure please. Pre op is on Tuesday, so it won't be too long to wait. Thank you

• Hello  Spring2024 and a warm welcome to the forum though i am sorry you have to be here. Mental wellbeing focus on the positives, family, friends, hobbys or work, try to keep busy but don't deny your emotions if you feel life crying then do so, you will feel better for it. Just do the exercises you like and enjoy, personally I prefer exercise groups, though please talk to your Dr if you want to continue after your TURBT. Have not had the procedure myself though i know many on the forum have and know they will be along soon to share their experiences and offer advice and support, take care,

Eddie

• Hi  and welcome to this friendly and supportive group. We all know the shock of a diagnosis . The early days of uncertainty and not knowing can be the worst but be aware that bc can be treated successfully. A TURBT procedure is fairly straightforward in the great scheme of things. Usually done in day surgery, but prepare for an overnight in case you go down late. Lots of us have been through this so feel free to ask any questions. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi there I am 64 and have had two ops first one I had to stay in over night due to being sick after the anaesthetic second one was good I am now waiting to go for 6 sessions of mitomycin (chemotherapy) so I feel a little like you at the moment 

• Thank you all. My world is shattered, it hasn't quite sunk in. I am  carrying on as normal which is so surreal, my kids don't know. The future is so uncertain now for me and my family. As I said I'm still in shock, but I'm glad to know this forum is here, and you have answered so quickly.  I'm going to go to my local cancer group meetings as well, as I need to be surrounded by people who understand. 

• Almost two years ago I had the same shock news and as I had never been ill or anything was in total shock at being told I had BC. The turbts are not too bad, over quite quickly and then I had to have treatment, which is still on going but thank god at present I have had clear camera, s and are carrying on as normal after what I thought was going to be the end. It definitely gets easier as time goes on and you realise from the group people are still around and coping with slightly different lives but it settles down gradually and the group is very helpful. Meditation really helped at night to calm down the panicky feeling, listening to it while trying to get to sleep. There are lots of people on here who listen. 

• Hi Spring2024.

Welcome to the group and sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

It's certainly a shock and does turn your life on it's head. I was diagnosed December 2022 when I was 51.

Personally I didn't find the TURBT to bad, I stayed overnight for both my TURBTs but was very well looked after and I'm sure you will be also.

I know it's hard to believe, but for me it got easier to comprehend when I got my results back and had a treatment plan in place.

I wish you all the best and please keep us updated. This forum and the lovely people helped me massively, especially during the early days.

Take care.

Trevor 

• Hi Spring2024, I can remember the same shock feeling and a kind of numbness. You are among friends here that will help you through this very anxious time. The waiting can feel so frightening. The procedure is straightforward, when i had my first one i stayed in overnight because i was done very late in the afternoon . If you click on the profile name of members on here, you can often find they have written what has happened to them and how they feel. I personally used this forum and its good people ALOT, i also do mindfullness and meditation which really helps me stop the panic. Stay in touch

much love Angela x

• Hi, I think I'll have the TURBT in next 2 weeks. I had pre op today and my blood pressure was high, mananged to get it down a bit. I said I was worried they would not  operate if my blood pressure was high on the day of op. I was told that they would operate in any case because I need the operation urgently. Has anyone else had this experience with TURBT and blood pressure, thanks 

• Hi Spring2024, 

I had a radical nephroureterectomy last April and my BP was through the roof! The anaesthetist was amazing and told me not to worry as the operation would happen, she gave me extra meds to try and bring it down and they had me laying in a darkened room for  an hour before I walked to the theatre. I do take meds for my heart but definitely also have white coat syndrome, I also had it with my biopsy and chemotherapy but every time the staff were so caring and understanding, so please don’t worry your operation will happen! 
    I wish you well 

Annie x

• Hi,

My blood pressure was high around the time of my first TURBT.

I had to buy my own blood pressure machine, and keep a log for a week between my pre op and my operation.

When I was home and more relaxed my pressure was fine. They said it was very common for people's blood pressure to go up during the tests and while waiting for the operations.

I do suffer from anxiety, so it takes me a while to relax. I do breathing exercises and it definitely works.

Even things like driving to the hospital, being stuck in traffic, finding a parking space all can get the blood pressure up.

Finger's crossed your blood pressure will be fine next time.

Take care.

Trevor