Can anyone recommend a urologist for an online consultation

• 4 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi, 

I'm at the point of withdrawing from my program of BCG therapy - I'm 10 doses in of the 21 dose SWOG protocol but the side effects are killing me. I haven't been able to have a satisfactory conversation with my urologist about the pros and cons, he just says it's up to me which doesn't really help. Any suggestions welcome ,thanks

• Stoical,

Can you ask for a 2nd opinion from another consultant in the same team, that might help.

In the U.K. this is not unusual

cheers Leo

• Maybe you could write him/her a letter, asking some specific questions. You might need to wait a bit, but you should get a reply. If not, chase it up via the secretary or PALS department.

• Thanks, both good suggestions. I was just a bit bewildered after my last consultation with my urologist. I'd been having these unpleasant side effects and I noticed that the timing of the BCGs was more frequent than the SWOG protocol and simply asked for them to be spaced out to 6 months rather than 3 (because we'd reached that point in the protocol - treatments 10, 11 and 12.) He said, sure fine no problem. When I made an appointment for the treatments, the secretary said 'oh it's just one this time, not 3'. What? And he'd sent a letter to my GP saying I wasn't suitable for BCG because side effects (while simultaneously arranging for me to have one). And it wasn't quite what I'd requested - I asked for them to spaced out a bit more. So it's like we're not communicating very well. But yes, I could maybe email him with one or two very precise questions

• My husband stopped at no 11 BCG because of the difficult side affects. That was in May 2021 and he had another all clear last week. He is being checked every 6 months at the moment. There seems to be some uncertainty about how many sessions are needed without damaging the bladder. It took a while but he now gets 6 hours sleep without needing to get up and we hope the treatment he has had will be sufficient.

I hope you get answers to your questions and that the above info helps.