Change in Bowel Habits following Surgery

• 12 replies
  • 54 subscribers

It's been 6 weeks now since my cystectomy. My recovery has mainly been ok although with some blips along the way. The one thing that is starting to get me down is some changes in my bowel habits which are starting to concern me. I will have a word with the doctors but I was wondering whether anyone has any similar experience following an RC. 

I was getting some awful constipation so a couple of weeks ago I spoke to my GP who prescribed a laxative, which I've been using and is keeping the constipation at bay. I don't seem to be able to eat much now without feeling so full and feel I need to go to the loo. Seem to be going about 3 times a day at the moment without really feeling that's I'm going properly. 

As I say, I will have a word with the doctors but has anyone found that their bowel habits changed following their surgery? Did this settle down and revert back to normal? 

Thanks and Regards

Mike

• Hi Mike,I seem to be able to eat the same diet as before.Post op I snacked and built up to meals over time.I don’t eat big portions and until lockdown had always been considerably underweight.Best wishes Jane

• I’ve always had a small appetite anyway, but certainly post op it’s best to eat little & often. Concentrate on protein & carbs for healing & energy, even for several months while recovering. Nowadays I can eat what I like, but rich, creamy or fatty foods (such as might be on a restaurant menu) may trigger a rush to the loo. All depends just what particular section of intestine was removed, as different parts absorb different elements. Good to keep up fluid intake. With neo, I also find that extra dairy fat can make my neo spasm.