Maddy the Bladdy Review

• 16 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi All hope the weather is not being a pain to anyone.

Well my journey is about to change as my camera May showed a small papillary and dark cells! 

June 4 weeks later went for turbt, I was told all went well see me in 3 months.

Two weeks ago I got a phone call from my oncologist nurse to tell me one was papillary low grade but in between camera and waiting for the turbt I had grown a small cis.

She explained that last time I saw the consultant I could keep Maddy the Bladdy as I was low risk and the consultant was convinced I could not go low grade to high after having 21 BCG treatments and my last words to him on leaving was
Never say Never as he agreed the bladder is unpredictable

I now have MRI appointment, CT scan with thorack as she needs to check the lungs for anymore nodules and the usual cystoscopy end of Sept.

Once everything comes back I’ll see the consultant again and my nurse of 5 years is 99.9% certain it will be RS due to it was agreed if a cis grew then it was  bye bye to Maddy and all the bibs n bobs that accompany that surgery.

So I have a long waiting game of over two months for the tests etc then wait for appointment and results.

I was clear I would have Urostomy the bag rather than the Neo bladder.

Ive followed different discussion re both and my mind set was to be able to manage the process as easy as possible due to I do my daughters child care.

On reading it’s sounds either procedure is equally as difficult in the earlier stages.

I have two questions if anyone can offer advice or experience please.

I have colitis of the bowel and therefore was worried it would cause more issues having a pouch made for neo bladder any one with the same that had a neo bladder??? Also I get infections with catheters so how often would I need to self catheterise??

Second is by having a bag I forgot the night bag situation, and I have a hernia only small but I get a lot of acid and I’m allergic to plasters, not all but my concern is the stick on bag/pouch may irritate my skin as I get very sore when it flares up!

Has anyone got some honest answers, practical advice as I’ve found myself questioning my choices now the surgery looks like it’s now on the cards.

Thank you and I enjoy reading the details and information shared, the downside for me is I find it hard to read on line I wish there was actual people to talk to to meet and see how they manage the life changes. Opps sorry im waffling on

Much love  

• I was part of study comparing robotic with normal open surgery. Mine was open surgery and I was in and out of hospital in 7 days. 

It's important to get moving around asap, but not to overdo things Getting your fitness level helps in recovery and does help relieve the tension in the build up to the op.

I went with a stoma. No getting up a certain times to empty your bladder or pelvic exercises. I generally have a normal life and exercise regularly. Changing the bag for the first time can be a little daunting, but your nurses will help you and all too soon it will be second nature. If you do have allergies, most bags are anti allergy and there are plenty of products that can help.

Please don't be reluctant to ask questions or raise queries on this site, people are compassionate and supportive.

It doesn't matter where you go, there you are
  • Hi Ianw

Thank you for reply and yes I do ask questions.

I worked in care for over 30 years also taught care staff so I’m familiar with the stoma bag process,

Back in the day I would assist and support the service user straight from hospital after surgery or do the sleep over when someone didn’t have family.
    So as you say It doesn’t matter where you go, there you are. 
    My saving grace is I was dedicated to my work and I was the best I could be.

Ive been passed over to the next surgeon who performs robotic RC after the fitness test on 16th Sept I’ll be given my date.

One thing I’ve learnt from all of this in my five years is  read the letter sent, place it in a safe pile and live every day until the appointment. Or life is on hold and the waiting game becomes wishing life away.

I read others stories not to compare as we are all individual but to learn and relate as for armed to for warned and knowing we are in a similar situation.

Have a great day 

Lorraine x

• Hi Coojee

Thank you for your reply I looked up re Maggies centre none my neck of the woods, shame. 
    I get a lot of support from Macmillan and I’ve been offered the counselling sessions which I will tap into once I’ve had my surgery.

I discussed with my oncologist nurse re the plasters and she explained I will be given advise and guidance before fir s practise run with bags to test out.  
    Im lucky I’ve been with the same two nurses all my Five year journey and they are straight with me Barr no punches which I like.

What exercises did you do to improve your fitness levels.

I run about after the grandchildren as I’m the main childcare.

I swim at least once a week, do star jumps every day up to 100 now without leaking

I also walk the dog but in guessing I need to up my game Shrug

Thank you for informing me about leaking hadn’t thought of that so pads to the ready.

Have a good day much love 

Lorraine x

• Regarding excercise, I walk a mile twice a day with my wife. We are lucky to live in the Scottish Highlands. In one of my stoma sample packs, I had a 3 part excercise book from Convatec. I find them frightfully boring & haven't really paid too much attention to them, despite my wife occasionally shouting at me. For the first few months, I was strengthening my upper body with one of those elastic sheets. My wife was impressed with the results. I must admit that I did find any excercise difficult as I was feeling sick all of the time. Plus my build up has been a little slower due to my careful diet aimied at starving cancer cells. You don't get fat on a low GI Paleo diet while feeling sick!

Pre-op, I did nothing apart from the walks. I was trying to keep my wife alive as she was suicidal.

• Hi

I resumed exercise by walking about 20 minutes a day. I would really advise taking it at a gradual pace, you'll be surprised how much it takes out of you. You will be able to resume to your normal routine once you've built yourself up.

It doesn't matter where you go, there you are
  • Oh I guess I’m lucky I live alone and all my journey I’ve made very light of my cancer so my daughter hasn’t a clue what will be happening to me.

My grandson asked yesterday if I’ll die in surgery as fights will happen can I leave the surgery to last longer.

I explained I need my surgery to continue a long and healthier life so he must look at me and see cancer doesn’t kill everyone it touched.

Im an active Nan and he told me he doesn’t mind if I can’t do everything I did before just come home from hospital bless him.  I told try and stop me I’ll be doing everything as before just in time Joyybe a little differently Joy.

Hope your wife has relaxed for you now. I try not to over think and live each day learning g and meeting new people along the way.

Happy Wednesday x