Results from CT scan

• 11 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi

I am wanting to know what I might expect from my CT scan which is tomorrow.  I have been on Immunotherapy and Chemo for 4 cycles and have 4 cycles to go. Has anyone else passed this stage?  I want to prepare myself to know what the likelyhood of the tumor having stayed the same or shrunk?  Or is it more likely that the cancer will have spread?   I am increasingly in more pain daily which frightens me that despite my positivity.  Pain to me equall trouble.

• Hi  

I'm not a member of this group but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

I hope your scan went well and, although no one from the group got back to you about what to expect, that they'll pop in and share their experience with getting scan results.

Hopefully you were able to discuss the pain you're in when you went for the scan and your hospital team were able to help.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Wee Scots Lady,

I am currently on Fol Fox next week will be my 6th session of Chemo,I also have a Ct scan booked for the 30th of July.

The Chemo I had before this didn't work, in fact the consultant said it had grown.

I have found that I am more fatigued now a couple of days after treatment, rather than 3 or 4 days as in the beginning.

Also I am experiencing pain in the right side of my abdomen, this is after the chemo as well.

Not sure what is causing it, whether its the cancer has grown or, the effects of the Chemo?

Must say its got me a little bit worried.

I have a call next Tuesday with my Oncologist, see what they say.

Must admit that the pain is not pleasant, makes me feel worse.

Any advice thoughts would be appreciated.

• Hi Zita

Thank you for getting in touch.  Sorry to hear you have been feeling increased pain too. Also to learn that your first chemo drugs didn't seem to work.

So my treatment has been Gemcitabine and Cisplatin chemo plus Durvalumab Immunotherapy.  On a 3 week cycle.

I coped fine right through including  cycle 4 then I had a CT scan.  I had to wait 6 weeks to see the consultant to learn from him what it showed. In the meantime pain was increasing and I became fearful that the cancer was worse.  When we eventually saw the oncologist I was told the cancer was stable and so could continue treatment. But that information now 8 weeks old.

Then after day one of cycle 6 I spent the next 10 days with on and off excruciating pain in my L hip area (new pain) that had been building.  Anyway I got my GP involved and he pushed for me to have an early CT scan which happened today instead of sometime in early Aug. We will be following that up by contacting the oncologist soon.

In the meantime I am now on slow release morphine and oramorph and occasionally Naproxen (I find this is good for when it is feeling inflamedi  my gall bladder area)  but the dr has taken responsibilityfor monitoringmy blood as Naproxen and Cisplatinare not good on the kidneys. . And the other drugs now now have the pain under control.  But it will be interesting to see the results of today's  scan. One thing the Dr was concerned about was that I had a bowel obstruction,  dispite having motions   things are not all what they should be.

So my advice to speak to your GP about pain control or you cancer team. 

Life easier to cope with when not in pain. Easier to be more positive.

• Good luck, let me know how you get on. 
  • Hi Wee Scots Lady,

Thank you for your reply, it helps to know that I am not the only one going through this.

Up until now I have managed to cope pretty well, with the last lot of treatments it started the week before last, on treatment no 4.on my free week of treatment. We were away for a break it started on a Wednesday, this time after I finished treatment on a Friday, it came back on Sunday, it's now Thursday and still have pain.

My energy levels are way down too, coping with the pain, I am finding I have no appetite either, food just doesn't taste the same, not feeling hungry, I suppose it's a combination of pain lethargy etc. 

I have a Oncologist phone appointment on Tuesday next week before my last dose of Chemotherapy, before my scan on the 30th.

It's really difficult staying positive at the moment, would feel a little better if the pain wasn't there constantly.

Let me know how you are doing, its really good knowing that I am not alone in experiencing this.

• The problem I found is that there are too many variables as to why we might be in pain.  But getting the pain relief was crucial. As I said make sure you get onto something stronger than you are having.

Yes, appetite non existent when too much pain. So weight loss has been my problem, I am now only 6st 2lb but I am only 5 foot.  Still it is underweight.

Just heard my consultant has delayed my treatment I was to have tomorrow until he has reviewed the CT scan I had yesterday. I plan to call them, if not later, then tomorrow to find out how long it takes to be reviewed. 

Listen to.your body and rest when you need to. I had a reasonably good day yesterday but today, even before the news about delayed treatment I am feeling much rougher. 

So as always, one day at a time. X

• Wee Scots Lady,

Thanks for the advice, I am planning on contacting my gp tomorrow morning, this has been going on for 6 days tomorrow, and I don't think it is going away.

Definitely need somthing for the pain.

Lets  see how I get on with the Doctor x

• Wee Scots Lady,

I hope that you managed to speak to your Consultant regarding your scan?

I finally phoned my acute oncology team on the red card to get some pain meds, they spoke to a doctor and my Husband picked up a bottle of Morphine, its helping me cope a little better.

I'm trying not to take too much, just when I need it.

It takes the edge off, especially at night when I go to bed.

I hope that the results of your scan are in your favour, and you can go ahead with any more treatment options.

Let me know x

• Hi Zita

Glad you have got some Oramorph, and that it is helping.  Sadly pain/discomfort doesn't disappear completely but enough to let you sleep and bits during the day.Once you get on top of the pain it is easier.  I started like you did, but don't be afraid to take it regularly as you do with paracetamol.   Only once you are needing it more than 4x  day will they talk about a slow release dose. Which is a pill twice a day, oramorph as backup when needed. 

I learnt that my CT results will be discussed at a MDM on Mon. So we wait to hear from that.

• Wee Scots Lady 

I am pleased that you will have the results soon and my fingers are crossed that it is a good outcome. 

Its the most nerve racking time waiting, from the time you have the scan, untill you are told what they have found.

Its on your mind constantly.

Thinking of you xx

• Wee Scots Lady,

Well I have been taking the Morphine 4times a day plus paracetamol, it's hardly hitting the sides.

Feel week like a kitten at the moment, its been 2 weeks now since it started.

I had my phone appointment with my Oncologist Consultant on Tuesday morning, she cancelled my last dose of Chemotherapy, and wants to see what my next scan shows up on the 30rh.

Then book me in for the results hopefully the following week if she gets the results back by then.

I'm really worried about what they might show, whether my cancer has grown and spread further, to be honest this is the worst I have felt since my diagnosis.

In a way I want the scan to be over and done with, in another way, I dont want to know the outcome.

Hope Im not being silly thinking this way.

Zita x