What to expec

• 2 replies
  • 14 subscribers

My Dad who is 89 was diagnosed with bile duct cancer 3 months ago and has been relatively well considering he also has a heart condition, doctors felt it wasn’t in his interest to treat  his cancer considering his age and other health problems so he has been at home and has decided he wants to remain at home and not go to hospital again.  Last week he had major pain diarrhoea and high temperature, his Gp attended said he was very unwell give him strong antibiotics and a dose of morphine and prepared us for end of life care.  After a relatively quiet night he improved a lot the next morning and is now back to his previous position more or less but im struggling with is this something that will happen more frequently and what to expect as no one has been able to tell us.  Any help advice would be appreciated thank you

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your dad has recently been diagnosed with bile cancer and I know what a worrying time this will be for you.

As the online community is divided up into different support groups, I'm going to recommend that you join and post in the supporting someone with incurable cancer group, which is a safe and supportive place to discuss your worries and emotions and to connect directly with other people who have a loved one on end of life care.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here, and join in with existing conversations by clicking on reply.

It might also help you to give the Macmillan Support Line a call and talk things through. The nurses who man the lines are available 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm and it's free to call on 0808 808 0000.

((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My DebsNI I really feel for you as my 89-year-old mum has just been diagnosed and like your dad, no treatment suitable. I don't know what to expect and how best to support her