Newly diagnosed

• 64 replies
  • 55 subscribers

Hi  My name is Gill8 and recently diagnosed with anal SCC had all the scans etc; biopsies and been told it’s T2 N1 M0, affecting the immediate lymph nodes so starting chemo/radiotherapy at the end of this month for 5.5 weeks and I am terrified with the expectation of the pain I will experience going through radiotherapy from what I have read so far. I know I have no choice but it’s daunting and emotional right now, knowing what is ahead.
Have seen some really good suggestions and tips from those that have already experienced this and hope to gain more insight/advise/guidance and support through this community. Thanks in advance x

• Oh yes, we can virtually hold hands Blush good luck to you too xx

• Hope all goes well for you both starting the week before me, I haven’t been told re a PICC line, think mine is just through vein in my arm. Bloods in the 26/4 before starting on the 29/4. Sending you both positive thoughts xx

• Good luck to you too Gill Blush

• Hi Gill, 

I'm so sorry you've got this rotten cancer and all the fear that comes with it, but so glad you've found this forum which is worth its weight in gold.

Do forums weigh anything?

It's a hard balance to maintain. We want to be well informed, but then we can easily overwhelm ourselves with fear. We want to be ready, but until we know what side effects (if any! Some folks have barely any at all!) will be ours, it's hard to know what to prep. 

But having some idea of how to get ready (Sitz bath, ointments, meals, dog walkers, drivers) can also make the time pass. Once you're in it, you've got all of us holding you up.

Yours is early. Chances are decent that in a year you'll be back to everything and this will be a Thing That Happened.

Suz

• Thanks Suz. Appreciate your message and for  making sense of this journey, your so right, I am trying to be prepared but not sure how it will be as we are all individuals, for me the fear is the side effects but like someone else mentioned here I will need to deal with them as and when they appear, hopefully I  won’t experience too many. I am walking a lot to try and get stronger before my weeks chemo! I’m finding this forum really helpful as well. Thanks, take care x

• Hi Georgie, how did Picc line go for you today? Mine was fine going in, quite achy now though, bit like when you get restless legs, don’t know what to do with my arm lol. Feeling a bit stressed by it all too though, trying to relax!! Hope you’re ok xx

• Hi there!

I’m glad it went well for you today - something else ticked off the list and closer to getting rid!!

Same for me, it was a lot quicker than I expected. My arm also feels a bit uncomfortable but the dressing feels like it’s very tight, so I’m hoping it feels a little more comfortable tomorrow after the district nurse re-dresses it.  Definitely an emotional day - I had a little cry when I got home.

Hope you get a decent sleep and it all feels a bit more comfortable tomorrow xx

• Thanks Hunni, is she coming to you tomorrow then? Mine said only needs changing once a week! 
    Yes I’ve been very emotional too, all very real now isn’t it. But I keep saying sooner I start sooner I’m done Pray

Hope you have a good rest over the weekend too xx

• Hi Easter2024, Glad to hear it went well for you, can I ask for your chemo, do they take the line out once your weeks chemo has finished and put another in for the last week of chemo and are you staying in hospital for your first week? Sorry for the questions. 

• Did you sleep? I was ok until 4.30am then woke with a racing mind.

They told me yesterday that the District Nurse had to re-dress the PICC line in preparation for chemo on Monday. I’d previously been told they would do it on the day so was a bit of a surprise. Never mind!