Strata gel

• 18 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi, first post here! About to start treatment on 22/4 for my cancer, 5 1/2 weeks Chemoradiotherapy Frowning2️ I’ve read about using Strata gel for the sore skin, would those that used it recommend? And can I ask do you put it actually on your anus and all around?? Sorry didn’t know how else to put it! The possible side effects are totally freaking me out at the minute, any tips n advice to prepare greatly appreciated Slight smile

• Hi Easter2024 I did use the StrataXRT gel from the start of treatment. This is my experience in using this invisible gel. The gel is applied after a shower or bath very thinly all over your genitalia and you let this dry. If it feels sticky you have applied too much. The trick is to spread fairly rapidly and you get better at it as time goes on. This stays on your skin for twelve hours and then reapplied for a further twelve hours. You do not remove it from your skin during radiotherapy unlike other creams which have to be removed whilst you are having radiotherapy in the scanner. My oncologist was not familiar with this gel but she did research it before giving me the go ahead and said they trialled in in Leeds cancer hospital with great success but I think due to the cost they didn’t continue using it. You buy this online from a supplier in the UK and it is expensive but the large tube lasted from start to finish and they advise you continue post treatment for at least four weeks. The drawback of using the gel was because of where it was applied and we have a lot of traffic coming from there if you know what I mean and after washing it needed to be reapplied. This gel needs to be on your skin 24/7. The advantage was my skin did not burn or blister or peel but I did have internal soreness where the gel didn’t reach.  I couldn’t use E45 cream as it irritated my skin and I can’t use it even today. Your team should keep an eye on your skin and prescribe the appropriate creams which can be really helpful. We are all different on how radiotherapy can affect our skin and some experience more reactions than others. 

You may have read on here about the famous sitz bath which sits over the toilet and helps during bowel movements if you experience soreness. Loose soft cotton boxer type knickers and I got some harem trousers that were really comfortable.  My first appointment with my oncologist before my treatment was really upsetting as she told me all the side effects that come with the treatment. I was so frightened but glad to say you are unlikely to get most of them. Once you start treatment any side effects are cumulative and you manage them as you go along. We are here for you all the way as members of this group were for me. Take care.

Julie

• Had a follow up in February general talk and was told I would have a rectal examination in May (wonderful) not.  Then I’m sure my consultant said the scan would be a couple of months after.  The onlButterflything is everything seems so long winded I know they deal with loads of people in the same boat but the waiting is hard one minute I’m fine then it’s the “”What ifs”.  I know it sounds strange but after the treatment I missed the schedule of the days at the hospital and my chats with fellow patients.  I think I must be a bit weird 

• Thankyou Julie, that’s exactly how I felt after oncologist went through all the possible side effects Scream I do keep telling myself that they have to tell you everything doesn’t mean we’ll all get everything Pray I think I’ll order the StrataXRT gel, I’m really worried about sore skin initially so if it can prevent it then great. I’ll check with oncologist about it xx

• Hello Easter2024

Welcome to the forum, although I am sorry you had a need to find us.  The blessing (if you can call it that) is that ever one of us have been through it and are here to tell the tale. 

The treatment is short and sharp and the side effects vary from person to person.  I had severe side effects BUT they don't all come at once, and my treating team were amazing, they gave me lots of creams and dressings and if something didn't work they very quickly tried something else, so if you are finding it tough shout out.  And you get through it, I counted the days off and I only started to feel a bit uncomfortable between weeks three and four.  I used Strata gel, is is applied very thinly everywhere that is being treated (but not internally) and reapplied after using the loo.  For me, the Strata gel really worked for the first four weeks and then my skin began to break down and the hospital supplied dressings and cream which helped enormously.  But there are others on the forum who used it and it was very effective right until the end of treatment.

I would say the most important thing is keep your team informed, they tend to be really responsive and don't want you to suffer needlessly.  And a Sitz bath, a cheap portable bidet that sits on the loo and you can soak comfortable and even have bowel movements in it - they are much less painful under water!

Thinking about you, please come back and let us know how you are.

Irene xx

• I eagerly used the Strata gel in the beging but to be honest I did not find it useful at preventing burns . A good unscented body moisturizer and  you can add lignocaine gel to it  is worth it .   The  face book ( mainly Americans)  support group swear by  Aquaphor  which I was able to get on amazon.    Once the skin broke down I used Intrasite gel with lignocaine ( radiation nurses gave me a good supply)  and used large cotton buds or swabs to apply . My best buy though was a bidet toilet seat   ( fitted by a plumber to the normal toilet) wish I had got years ago . 

• Hello Sim37, I am sorry you didn’t find the StrataXRT useful. I found it kept my skin free from blisters and peeling skin I have read on here some people experience. My only problem with my skin was mainly internal soreness which of course I didn’t apply to gel to. The advantage of the gel was you didn’t have to remove it before radiotherapy and reapply afterwards. It’s not for everyone and great that you found creams that suited your skin

• The bidet attachment was such a life-changer for me. It's one more reason to become fanaticaly attached to Home (I'm well down the road to becoming a confirmed hermit).

Suz