Smear

• 11 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Well good news this morning as I received my results from the smear I had at my hospital last week. No sign of HPV so they have said as I am over 65 I will not be recalled to have anymore. But I think the first sign of anything I am not happy about I will be contacting them whatever age I am. Very relieved and to be honest surprised and I don’t know why!  Feeling very blessed at the moment and fairly normal apart from a couple of things. 

• Yes,  you’re right. 

It’s the first thing they test in the UK now-this changed a few years ago,  If you test negative for hpv, there’s nothing else done. If you test positive, then you’ll be sent for a colposcopy to check for abnormal cells. When I was part of cancer support groups I always advised ladies not to rely on a smear test if they had any worrying symptoms but to make sure they got anything checked out if they felt things weren’t right. 

A smear test is not a diagnostic test for cervical cancer. It’s a check for active hpv, and from there a check of the cells, but not if you have a negative result. The cells which caused my type of cancer-adenocarcinoma-grow high up in the cervix so are often missed on a smear which brushes the surface of the cervix. And not all cervical cancer is caused by hpv, so sometimes things are missed. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm