Smear

• 11 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Well good news this morning as I received my results from the smear I had at my hospital last week. No sign of HPV so they have said as I am over 65 I will not be recalled to have anymore. But I think the first sign of anything I am not happy about I will be contacting them whatever age I am. Very relieved and to be honest surprised and I don’t know why!  Feeling very blessed at the moment and fairly normal apart from a couple of things. 

• That's wonderful news Julie, long may your blessings continue!  But yes, I completely agree, follow up anything that seem out of sorts.  I do and I am always seen promptly.

And it feels like spring today - always lifts the mood!

Irene xx

• Some good news  ! 

I am trying to get myself OFF the recall register at 62 because I physically cannot have a smear! Hopefully I won’t get any more letters (had 3 in the last year because I haven’t attended) but I have asked where they expect to put the speculum given I’ve had my vagina removed! Joy I say you should immediately get any symptoms checked if they occur because a smear test is only testing for hpv, and if that’s negative, then nothing  else is done. Hopefully everything is fine, and all is good! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• That’s great news  , I think I’ll probably squeeze one more in, I had one last year & I’m 59 in April, hopefully there won’t be a need but I totally agree any hint of anything you’re not 100% happy about contact them. Congratulations again. 

Nicola

• Oh dear Sarah where would they put it exactly!  I am relieved and I am still having scans so fingers crossed if any problems crop up they will show. 

• Thank you Nicola x

• I haven't had a smear since my cancer diagnosis in 2022. I turn 65 in a bit so I wonder if I'll need more?

Like you, though, I'm going in if I've got worries.

So glad for you, Julie.

Hugs

Suz

• Hi Suz ( ),

Was I up to date with my smears was one of the first things my surgeon asked me on my very first appointment with him & I had actually had a reminder just before my diagnosis so he said to get that done before my surgery, I think it’s probably due to the correlation between HPV & cervical and anal cancers, the hospital I was treated at don’t test biopsies for HPV as they said it doesn’t alter the course of treatments offered so I still don’t know if my cancer was HPV related! I know here in the UK we stop being invited for smears at the age of 65 but at my last one last year my nurse said I could request them independently after that if I wanted to continue, how does it work in the US? Do you get called in by your Dr every so often or do have to request them? 

Nicola 

• I was 62 when I got diagnosed and my doctor was a little surprised to get the request to do a PAP. Most women here quit at 65 but I've never (as far as I know) been tested for HPV so I'm going to request to have a PAP/HPV test every couple of years. 

Suz

• I think here n the UK our smear tests are routinely tested for HPV. I agree Suz it would be wise to request them if they’re not routinely offered if only for your peace of mind. 

Nicola