6 weeks post op part 1

• 36 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi all , I have been reading these blogs since I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in July. It has been a long journey since I was referred by my GP in June. I was given an appointment for a proctoscopy by the doctor working for the consultant at the hospital. After that I was quickly referred for a colonoscopy within 2 weeks with the dreaded bowel prep. After that I was told I was 99% sure I had a stage 2 tumor by the colonoscopist. They had taken some biopsies for the lab to analyse. Apologies if I seem all over the place but I am trying to remember my journey how I remember it. More to follow. 

• Hi pp23

Once it was confirmed I had AC my staging was Stage 3 T4  N1 and  cos of the size of the tumours I was told I needed a stoma, which I refused at first, but once they explained I really didn’t have a choice as the size of the tumour was big and was stopping me from going to the toilet, they also said it would make it much easy going through the treatment so I agreed. 

When I had it done I’m not going to lie I hated it , I was petrified of it I couldn’t look or touch it, but I wanted to go home and recover with my husband and so I had to quickly learn to look after it, my husband was brilliant and helped once I went home within a couple of weeks I was doing good. 

Im now nearly  a couple of years down the line, and also now have a parastomal hernia which I hate, and just had a sigmoidscope to see if I’m ok to have a reversal and get the hernia fixed, however due to a stricture where the scar tissue is like 2 lumps it’s still stopping me from going to the toilet so I was told no reversal but can have my parastomal hernia fix. 

im actually ok with my stoma and quite happy to keep it as iv always had issues with my bowels and I don’t have any issues now in-fact it has given me a better quality of life, I never thought I’d say that but it true, also iv read so many stories of the issues people are have after the reversal that I’m really don’t want to be living with have to live on the toilet, accidents etc 

anyway good luck with whatever you decide 

Laura x

• Hi Laura, hope you're OK. Thanks for sharing your story. 

So finally the day of my operation. Early start for 7.0 am on the surgical ward. So I got all my tests done and met my surgeon and then was taken for anesthetics. I had a spinal injection and then put on drips and wired up to all the monitors. That's the last I remember. So I was in theatre for 10 hours and had a robotic assisted operation. Next thing I remember was waking up in PACU where I stayed overnight. I felt I had lost all track of time and never realised it was the next day when I woke up. I was then taken on the recovery ward into my own room. I had about 4 drips into me and a button to press for morphine pain relief. I needed that and also paracetamol, codeine and ibuprofen round the clock. I lay in bed for a couple of days absolutely helpless. I had a catheter and of course a stoma pouch to contend with so I was quite restricted. Everything was such a struggle. After a few days I started to get up and go to the toilet and empty my catheter on my own. By then the stoma nurse had come in to show me how to cut and charge my pouch. This was the reality for the rest of my life. I had 2 drains attached so they were quite restrictive to carry around. I thought I was getting the hang of my stoma pouch when the nurse had just changed my bedding and I noticed my pouch was getting quite full. I  couldn't really feel when it was filling up when I was asleep so when I woke up I decided to change it. So I got my clini peel spray and as soon as I sprayed it exploded everywhere. All over the bed and me. I am pleased this had happened in hospital and not at home. Lesson learned. At least my stoma was working and I knew what to do the next time. So I was in hospital for 8 days and by then I had all my drips, drains and catheter removed and was able to sit at the table and eat my meals. Also I was waking up and down the ward and I was finally ready for home.  My wife was pleased as she had visited me twice a day for 8 days...More to follow...

• Hi PP23, 

Have I missed some content lol

It seems you have already had your op, I was reading you had 3 options and your choosing the the 3rd, sorry if I’m late to the table!!

How long since you had your operation? 

Laura x

• Hi Laura, sorry to cofuse you but I was trying to tell my story as I  remembered it in different stages in chronological order. As you can see by my headline title I haven't got to the present day yet. I just wanted to share my story while I had time to recover. Hopefully I will catch up soon. Thanks PP23

• Hi PP23

oh ok, how are you finding your stoma, do you have a colostomy or ileostomy? 

Laura x

• Hi Laura, I have a permanent colostomy stoma which hasn't got into a routine yet and I can get diarrhea or constipated any time of the day. OK when I am at home but when I'm out can be a problem. Not to mention when I get back to work which I am dreading. 

• PP23

I have a colostomy as well, I use to suffer with constipation real issues, hence a better quality of life with stoma, majority of the time I go normally have the odd  bout of constipation but I have Cosmacol to get it moving again, don’t suffer with lose stools at all, it will become second nature before long, I use a really nice little bag rather than a bloody huge thing they gave me to come out of hospital with, oh and tip  for you,  don’t know if they gave you a stoma powder I use to put around where it was stitched together and before long I was healed, but I use the stoma powder for everything it’s such a good healer, I used it on a sore that I got from my radiotherapy cleared within days after a good week or so of it being weepy, I got mine from Amazon. 

Laura x

• Oh, I was confused too! The title slid right by me!

• Sorry, I should of made myself more clear. More to follow...