Green discharge

• 8 replies
  • 49 subscribers

hi all, I am in my fifth week of treatment and was very sore over the weekend and saw the oncologist yesterday who said I am doing great and the soreness at this stage they cannot offer any creams that will take the pain away. This morning I have woken up to fin a small amount of green pus oozing from my vagina and perineum is very red with slight blood. We left for the hospital at 10.30am for a 12pm appointment as it takes an hour to get there an park and you have to arrive half an hour for drinking. I had to wait until 2pm to see the doctor so overall it was over five hours for 15mins in radiotherapy room and fifteen minutes with the doctor! I haven’t the energy to do this again today and want to know if others experience this discharge. Thank you.

• I have also been prescribed codiene for the pain

• Hi  that sounds exhausting. I’m wondering if the green pus may be an infection and suggest you mention it at the hospital. You’re on week 5 now, it’s the home stretch not much longer now. I know it’s hard but you will get through this, when treatment was through I slept the clock round, just rest as much as possible. Bev. 

1in1500
  • Hi ,

You must be totally exhausted! That’s a long wait to see your Dr after your radiotherapy, I know that emergencies etc., have to be taken into consideration but you would hope your appointments could be a little better coordinated wouldn’t you?

I know it’s not much help but as Bev has said you’re on the homestretch now & almost at the end. In the 2 weeks post treatment I also slept a lot, literally went from bed to salt bath to sofa to salt bath to bed again that was it & I catnapped the day & night away, so if this is what you need to do when you’re not at the hospital then do it whatever gets you through to the end. Regarding the discharge, if this is a new thing then I would mention it at today’s appointment, best to get these things checked then if there’s a chance there may be infection it can be treated straight away. 

Good luck for today & the rest of your treatment. 

Nicola 

• Thank you for your replies. Skin nurse looked at me today but said she couldn’t see any green pus at that time. Then when I arrived home the green came back. I was given flamazine to apply at night. My labia was sticking together so I tried just a little of this gel and it was great. Doesn’t sting and stopped the sticking. Not sure I can use it prior to the rest of my treatments. The codienne is now giving me constipation so I have taken modocol laxative. What a journey. My external skin is fine. I really appreciate your comments and I am having a review with the oncologist on Thursday so she will double check things. I am presuming the oromorph gives you constipation too? I am now starting to spend more time laying on my bed stretched out to give the radiotherapy area a good airing.

• Hi ,

That’s good news that the Flamazine is helping & also that the nurse checked you over.

I also had problems with all of the opiate based painkillers, I tried oromorph & codeine & they both caused awful constipation for me too. I also used Movicol. I resorted to paracetamol & ibuprofen for pain relief two hourly when needed but I also took lansoprazole to protect my stomach whilst taking the ibuprofen. 

Nicola

• Hi Nicola, I tried the paracetamol and the ibuprofen and thought the ibuprofen was the cause of my upset stomach as I know you are supposed to eat before taking it. I may try taking the lansoprazole with it. I made a mistake with the flamazine. It is flaminal hydro. It’s like thick petroleum jelly. My labia is sticking together and I have skin sloughing. I wasn’t expecting that until after radiation but I don’t know why. Every time I use the toilet I have to start all over again with the cream and numerous hand washing is causing the skin on my fingertips to crack, ouch! I’m counting my blessings I can still walk. Six more sessions then at least we don’t have the two hour trip there and back every day.

• Hi ,

I can’t tolerate ibuprofen at all but if I took a lansoprazole first thing in the morning an hour before any ibuprofen then I was fine & didn’t have any stomach issues. I did wonder about the Flamazine as I was given this at the end of treatment as I was told it contains silver & you can’t use it during radiotherapy but I also used flaminal during treatment although mine was more of a cream consistency. I would lather the cream on after using the toilet each time & before bed too. Hopefully you last 6 sessions will pass quickly. 

Nicola