Hello, I'm new here.

• 17 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Six weeks out of chemo radio, in South Yorkshire the UK. Stage three, I have done six weeks of radio chemo waiting results in August. Mum of two boys 18 and 13. 48 years young, really struggled with the treatment while in covid, I did this alone and it was shit. But totally focused on recovery. 

• Hi ,

Welcome to the online community although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us.

So pleased you hear you’re through your treatment but sorry you had to do it all alone, this pandemic has a lot to answer for in more ways than one!! I was very much like yourself & once through the worst of the post treatment build up I focused on my recovery & gaining some control back in my life which had been almost non-existent during my diagnosis & treatment etc., & I’m ever so slightly a closet control freak!! 

We’re always here & have gathered together lots of tips & advice between us & to some degree we’re all in the same boat so have lots in common with our recovery & the challenges that it brings. Please continue posting & let us know how you’re getting along. 

Nicola

• Thank you for your kind words, I'm also a Nikki, glad to see you spell it correctly too. 

Nikki x

• Hi I just wanted to echo 's welcome. If you click on our usernames you can read our profile info. There's people on here at all different stages of diagnosis, treatment and recovery so please let us know if you have any questions about anything. Bev. 

1in1500
  • Hey lovely. Well.done on completing treatment  Raised hands   It's bloody awful itsnt it.  But you done it.  I completed mine last April 2020, was stage 3 and did 6wks chemo/rad. Tumor was 15cm and I also had  a Stoma bag, and am.now.1year all clear and stoma reversered . Am 49 years young and just wanted to say the treatment is hardcore and I am sure you are still left battered and sore but it is a really successful treatment so good luck with your recovery and results. 

This group is amazing for support so any questions just shout xxx

• Glad to virtually meet you, 

Can I ask if you had surgery with your treatment as this is the bit that scares me stupid. I'm so glad your doing well and had the all clear, I'm really struggling with my mental health in this waiting period it's driving me crazy. 

I'm seriously considering asking for some happy pills as I'm so up and down, I can't stop crying. I'm having a lot of talking therapy but I'm not sure it's quiet enough. 

It's just so hard x

• Bless you, I hit that wall and got the happy pills and my only regret was trying to be brave and not getting them sooner, please get them they literally helped me so much.   They are not a.miracle but they will help you cope.  I am the most positive and upbeat person in the world and thought I didn't need them but there are no prizes for  This journey is like no other and saying out loud that you need a bit of a lift is the first step and trust me the next few weeks are the hardest.     I found the end of the treatment when my anxiety kicked in,  during treatment I was focused on getting through it but at the end when it was over I hit rock bottom.  

Please please reach out to your GP and get something just to get something to help you, I promise you it will help.  I only stayed on them for about 10months but I needed it and I would don't again if I needed to xxxxxx 

• Ps.  No I didn't need surgery the chemo radiotherapy was enough to completely remove all the tumor.   Has your consultant said that surgery might be necessary? x

• Thank you for this, I'm a extrovert and in outbound sales so I'm a very positive person normally, but I'm a mess now, can't get through the week. I'm going to ask on Monday when I go for talking therapy. I can't imagine how I'll be on the CT and MRI scans as at the end of therapy I was really scared of getting on the machines. Not logical but hey, why make it easy.... My brain just loves the hard way. The sad bit is I can see how nuts I'm coming across. 

• I think the trouble is because we are naturally positive bubbly happy people we put that extra pressure on ourselves to cope and not admit we are struggling.  I remember one of my chemo nurses looking at me one day saying...... You do know that it is ok not to be ok.......   And I still turned round to her and said yes but I am fine.    

I am sure you put everyone first but yourself, but this time you have to out yourself first and admit you need that helping hand and get some.tablets and that will help you on the scan machines and just cope with these next steps.   You can do this you have done the hardest part physically but the next part is also hard and the tablets will help.