Mum nearly finished 6 cycles of chemo - we’re all ok!

• 9 replies
  • 42 subscribers

I first wrote here about 5 months ago when my mum was diagnosed with stage 4 squamous cell in the anus/ rectum (5cm) with huge mets in the liver (9cm).

At that time I was in so much shock that it was happening and we felt the outlook was so bleak. I was crying every day. I wanted to update - we are now ‘in the swing’ of treatment and mum is doing well - so if you’re going through this know that it isn’t always as horrendous as you might first anticipate! 

Mum has had weekly chemo (Plaxitxyl and something else) for 5 cycles (1 more to go) and the tumours have shrunk a lot and her cancer blood markers are at 0. They’ve even suggested there’s an outside chance she could get cured!

She now can’t feel the tumour in her anus at all and she feels ‘back to normal’ apart from Chemo tiredness which has been mild and manageable. She has been lightly swimming regularly throughout and also working a bit from home which have both helped her feel positive and ‘normal’ in the face of so much uncertainty. 

I know not everyone will be feeling this well after lots of chemo but I wanted to say that (a) it can happen that you tolerate it ok and (b) we have all adjusted to life with mum having cancer treatment and the fog of panic/ anticipatory grief that came with diagnosis has lifted. We celebrated mum’s bday last weekend and she (and we all) had such a lovely time. We are so aware that we have to live for the time we have with her as we don’t know how this story will end but apart from treatment days cancer is not dominating her life and she is ok. 

Radio + chemo is next and I know she’ll feel worse from that but she is gearing up for it.

I’m awe of everyone here going through treatment and wish you all many long and pain free days ahead xx

• HopefulOne

I am SO happy to hear from you with such a positive update on your Mum.  I think I told you that I was also stage 4 at diagnosis and the future looked very black.  Our whole family was thrown into shock and disarray, but then I met my oncologist for the first time who said this is what you have, this is where it is and this is how we are going to treat it.  And she said she was hopeful that this could be eradicated, if not long-term control gained by treatment.

And then after the paclitaxol/carboplatin regimen I went on to have two lung ablations and then the chemo/radiotherapy. I am two years four months out of treatment and all my scans have been clear apart from a lung infection (not cancer).  I count my blessings every day and you are right, time changes how you view the diagnosis and it doesn't dominate your life in the same way.

Sending every good wish for you and your family and of course your Mum who sounds an absolute trouper!

Irene xx

• Hi   & thank you so much for the update on your dear mum. 

I think regardless of staging once we’ve received a diagnosis of cancer it makes us all a little unsure of our futures & wary of what’s to come. I love that you’ve all managed for the most part to put this to one side & to continue living a life alongside your mum.

You’ve described coming to terms with a diagnosis such as this perfectly when you say about the ‘fog of panic/ anticipatory grief’ lifting, it does lift & regardless of what the future may look like we have to continue living. I’ve had similar feelings & self expectations following the loss of my lovely dad back in May, I find myself thinking what would he want me to do? He wouldn’t want any of us lost in endless grief he’d want us to carry on living our lives doing things we love. 

You & your mum sound like strong, level headed women, you will face this next stage together side by side I’m sure. I’m sending many healing & positive thoughts your way. 

Nicola 

• Hi Irene 

Yes I remember your supportive words when I posted before - thank you and I’m so pleased to hear how well your treatment has progressed and that you’re doing so well. 

Of course no one knows what the future holds for my mum but it’s amazing to have this community here who show up for each other when it matters. 

All the best to you x

• Thanks so much for your encouragement Nikki and for taking the time to share your story. So sorry to hear about your dad’s passing but it’s wonderful that you are doing your best to live a full life as he would have wanted. 

I am in no doubt that the road ahead will be tough at times but I am counting my blessings for every happy memorry I can make with mum. That’s what really matters. 

Take care and thanks again for connecting x

• Hello there, thank you very much for your post. It really has made me feel a bit more positive today was the day. I’ve got my phone call with my final results and I’m due to start chemotherapy in three weeks so I have primary cancer in my sigmoid colon and secondary cancer in the liver, which I found out today is a 5 cm lesion.  My head is in the clouds at the moment, but I am staying positive. Xxx

• Thank you for sharing this SparklesPray tone4

it fills me with so much hope and positivity. My mum has squamous cell cancer (oesophagus) stage 4. She started chemotherapy not long ago & I’m really hopeful we get some good news too. How are you doing by the way? & how is your mum getting on? 

Gabby x 

• Hey Positivityrightnow 

I’m so sorry you are going through this - what a huge shock and I totally understand how your head must be in the clouds at the moment.

Glad our story resonated for you - the chemo teams are absolutely incredible - you will be well cared for and they can do so much these days. Fingers crossed for good outcomes for you and sending you courage for the weeks ahead. 

Sending hugs

xx

• Hey HopefulGabby

I love our similar screen names  

So sorry you are in a similar position to me but great that your mum is being treated and yes - hope you get good news when she is scanned.

My mum is having a few weeks off post-chemo ahead of radiotherapy so is trying to get some nice treats/ trips in in the ‘time off’…just what she needs! 

I’m fine thanks - I have a weekly therapist that helps me process things so that I can cope with mum plus 3 kids under 7! I really value having that outlet (even when things are fairly ok) 

Love to you and your mum

xx

• gotta stay hopeful right! Faith over fear Sparkles

It’s okay, it has really made me cherish every moment I have with her & I hope we get lots more years. 

I hope your mum is enjoying her treats and trips! Lots of love to you all Two hearts

That’s really good! It’s definitely good to have an outlet & you are doing amazing looking after ur mum and the little ones. I hope you find some time for urself too Hugging