Aching legs, post treatment

• 26 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi, I wondered if anyone else had experienced achy legs/arms (mainly legs). I’m 8 weeks post treatment (chemoradiation) and have been suffering for last few weeks. Seems to get worse in the afternoon/evening which affects my sleep. 

Never suffered when I was having treatment with aches but just post treatment stage  

I mentioned it to my consultant couple of weeks ago when I had a check up and he said it was chemo related and should subside. They don’t seem to be getting any better! TIA xx

• Hi  ,

Firstly welcome although I’m sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. On the other hand congratulations on completing your treatment, I hope your recovery is going well. 

Aches & pains following this treatment seem to be commonplace unfortunately. I had incredibly achy hips & legs I had pain in my lower back & coccyx & bilateral sciatica, I also suffered major fatigue in those early days & wonder if this might be why you’re finding your pain worsens as the day goes on. My oncologist & colorectal surgeon checked my scans for any pelvic/hip fractures that may have been caused by the radiotherapy but thankfully found nothing. My pain gradually improved over time but the hip pain & sciatica never completely subsided, I ended up having some intensive physiotherapy a couple of years ago which helped a lot but if I don’t keep up with my exercises the sciatica, lower back pain & hip pain do return to some level. I can’t say for certain if this was caused by the treatment or would have occurred with age anyway I’m not sure as I do suffer from some osteoarthritis.

It’s very early days for you yet but if you find these pains don’t begin to subside then further down the line I would consider self referring to a physiotherapist. 

Nicola 

• My goodness sounds like you really have been through it. I thought is was really random aching as much as I am. I am suffering with fatigue also (some days are worse than others), so what you say makes perfect sense. 

it’s definitely the gift that keeps on giving ! 

Thanks for your advice and very best wishes. 

• Hello Nikki2024

You are through the worst of it now, well done!  Unfortunately some of us are left with after effects as Nicola says, and for what it is worth (I am no expert!) I don't think the leg aches and pains are chemo related, I think it is all to do with radiotherapy.  I am well over two years out of treatment and suffer from 'heavy' legs that also really ache going upstairs.  I never had anything remotely like this prior to treatment and did have some physio last year which I should really start again as apparently it has to be done for some considerable time to feel the benefit.

I really push myself to walk my dog every day and do about two - three miles but I get home and have to put my feet up as invariably I am tired.  Prior to treatment I did seven miles daily and would come home and immediately start something else, those days seem to be gone!

For me, it has been a period of adjustment and I am very happy to be here to tell the tale but do acknowledge that things have changed for me.

It is very early days for you and some people are even back running (a step too far for me!) so the aches and pains aren't a given, I really hope this is the same for you.

Healing hugs

Irene xx

• Hi, thank you, it’s good to know (if you know what I mean) I’m not the only one with aches. Like you I’d never suffered before, it’s mainly my legs but can also be my arms too and some days it’s unbearable, paracetamol just does nothing to help! 

I’m hoping it’ll get better but may need to seek some physiotherapy. 

I seem to go from one set of side effects to another, so hard this journey isn’t it. 

Thank you and very best wishes xx

• Hi Nikki2024

Such a coincidence I have just seen your post about aching legs, I am 6 weeks post treatment today and have been suffering very heavy aching legs especially when I go for a walk.  I saw my oncologist for 6 week check up and forgot to ask about it, I was concerned about the erratic bowel issues .  I am led to believe it can be a side effect of the dual treatment , makes it very hard to walk at times , coupled with the fatigue too. I hope you improve, we need to rest when needed as others say it is still very early days.

Take care

M x

• That is a coincidence! 
    Walking can be really painful some days. And yes, fatigue is a lot too at the moment. 

Makes sense but really random side effect.

I hope your recovery goes well. Like you say, it’s early days but hopefully things will improve. Best wishes x

• Hi Nicki , 

im 5 weeks post treatment , not had the aches but s few niggles I didn’t expect at this point .. it’s quite a journey with us all going in different directions wondering if it’s the cancer , the treatment or something else !!?

• Hi Nicki , 

I’m 7 weeks post treatment and feeling the aches in my legs .. I thought it was my increased daily walks but this weekend , I’ve had family staying , no walks but still outer thighs aching … 

are you any better now ? 
    chrissie xx

• Hi Chrissie, sorry to hear you are suffering. Aches are persistent with me. I can literally do nothing all day and by the evening I’m in agony. I have to take some oramorph in the evening otherwise I have no chance of going off to sleep. 

It’s mainly my legs from ankles up to thighs but sometimes my arms ache too. 

It’s hard to know what to do for the best, rest or exercise. 

I hope they start getting better for you. 
    Nikki x

• Ahh bless you , this journey has thrown up some weird scenarios . One step forward , two back !!!

you assume everything is down to the treatment or the actual cancer but hey ho , we have to work through it the best we can .

take care 

Chrissie xx