Post treatment MRI scan

• 7 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi all,

I hope you're all well.  I joined this group some time ago but hadn't actually posted but I will say that the details shared are incredibly helpful, although everyone's journey is different, so don't get hung up or overly stressed if you happen to have a slightly different experience.  

I'm a 50yo male and I was diagnosed with an anal cancer in late December 2023 and commenced chemoradiotherapy at the start of February 2024.  I actually sailed through the treatment, so much so I wondered if it was actually doing anything.  Once I finished treatment I was hit like a sledgehammer with radiotherapy side effects. Despite doing everything to keep the wounds clean etc, I picked up a soft skin tissue infection and had a temperature of 39 and admitted to hospital and had 5 days of IV antibiotics and discharged with a further 5 days. All was going great. I felt great, I was back running, gym, enjoying life with my 5 year old daughter and my wife.  I had my post treatment 3 month MRI a few weeks ago and while the treatment appears to have gone well, there was an area which requires a biopsy to confirm if scar tissue or something else. Well ever since seeing the oncologist at the Beatson I'm back to having discomfort and what feels like some of the symptoms I had before my initial diagnosis.  

Despite trying to remain positive, I'm increasingly becoming more pessimistic, particularly if cancer is confirmed and it will mean surgery and the very high probability of requiring a stoma.  Something I just don't think I'm ready for, certainly mentally.  

I'll keep on doing what needs done. I'll deal in facts and try not let those negative thoughts win. 

Stay strong all. 

• Hello Dalveen20, great that you got through the treatment without too much pain. I did read an article regarding post chemo radiotherapy checks and although they do 3 month checks here in the UK in some countries they found waiting six months gave them a more accurate result due to the body had healed and any inflammation and scarring had calmed down. I think they like to be ultra sure everything is going as planned but I know exactly how you feel with the worry. I know my three month check involved the digital finger examination and that left me with some discomfort that I bled and it felt inflamed that felt just like I was before. She was very gentle but I suppose after what that area has been through the three months is quite early. I hope you get your results asap and they are the best outcome 

Julie

• Hi Dalveen,

Congrats on finishing the treatment and doing so well with recovery! We had almost the same schedule 2 years apart, except by July 2022 I sure wasn't running and riding my pony. 

You're very very early in your recovery, and your situation is why (I think) my team had me wait a full year before any scans, exams or even laying eyes on me. I think I was so wimpy (I can't manage an exam, except the gentlest DRE, without being conked out) that they didn't want to deal with me if there were false positives.

If you had a physical examination (ie not just a scan) that alone could cause you to have some of your original symptoms. The cancer drugs are still running  around your system, greedily nomming up any bits they can find. Inflammation is hugely common this close to treatment.

So, surgery and a stoma are still way out there on the horizon. Possible, but the odds are still in your favor. 

What I tell myself when those fears creep in is 'No more ass pain! No more DREs! No more fear of losing bowel control! FREEDOM!'

If things were go south, I'd much rather have a stoma than re-do the treatment, which isn't an option anyway.

Keep us posted. i'm betting you're fine.

Hugs

Suz

• Hello Dalveen20

I am so pleased to hear your treatment went well, although sorry about the infection that developed afterwards.  I have had an infection (not during this treatment) and the antibiotics are enough to make you feel unwell, never mind the infection.

I had an area of 'thickening' (I think it was about a year after treatment) and had to have a sigmoidoscopy to check it out and it was scar tissue, nothing more, and I do hope that it is the same for you.  It is good that your treating team are being ultra careful too although I understand that it can lead to some sleepless nights.  Also, the mind can play unpleasant tricks when under stress, prior to every scan I have aches, pain and twinges and am convinced that the cancer has returned.

Just over six weeks ago, I had an elective stoma formed - I was left with anal stenosis after radiotherapy which made life very difficult for me.  Although I had an infection in the wound and two courses of antibiotics, having a stoma truly isn't the end of the world - it has made my life so much easier in all respects and it is amazing how quickly one adapts.

But it really mightn't come to that.  I will be thinking of you and keeping everything crossed that this is just scar tissue.

Irene xx

• Many thanks for the response and I'm glad the clinical team are taking a belts and braces approach.  Keep well.

• Thanks you Irene for the this.  It's incredibly helpful to hear other perspectives, particularly when you allow the mind to run wild.  

I hope life is adjusting to having the stoma.  

• Thanks for the reply.  Really helpful and positive.  I'll keep staying strong and manage those negative thoughts. Take care 

• Hi  ,

Firstly congratulations on completing your treatment & on what sounds like a great recovery. Like you I got through my treatment with minimal side effects but boy the 11 days post treatment were on a different level altogether!

Like Julie has mentioned in the early days any internal examinations would leave me with a bit of bleeding & kick off a whole load of internal inflammation that would last a few day’s bringing along with it uncomfortable bowel movements, itching etc., this gradually got less as time went on but whilst I was still healing in the early days it was concerning to feel these symptoms again so I can completely sympathise with the way you’re feeling. 

Internal scar tissue is really common after this particular treatment but I completely understand your concerns it’s natural that you’re going to worry, hopefully your biopsy will take place really soon so that your mind can be put at ease.

Nicola