Dates for treatment received - currently struggling with pain

• 25 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi All,

I received a letter today to say my treatment so going to start on the 4th July, so at least I know now. The times for my treatment are often really early which concerns me as it’s over an hours travelling time to get to the hospital and my friends are taking me and I think this will make it difficult, is there any scope in the times being changed does anyone know?

I had a good day yesterday, virtually pain-free, but today I’ve been in lots of pain, it feels as though the cancer swells up and is trying for force itself out of my bottom! I’m taking oramorph, paracetamol and ibuprofen but still in pain, if anyone has any advice on how I can ease it I would very much appreciate it. I also, every few days,  bleed a bit from my bottom.

Virtual hugs, Adele. Xxx

• Hello Coco70, it’s great you now have a starting date for your treatment. Do you have a contact number for you to be able to speak to someone about the timings of your treatment. I remember requesting early appointments and they did their best to accommodate me. I had no pain before treatment until they did a biopsy where the stitches came apart and I could on advise sitting on the sitz bath with warm water.

Julie

•   Im slightly behind you as Im having PET scan on Tuesday, I then I will find out what treatment Im having.

I also have alot of pain and Im taking paracetamol and ibuprofen, Im talking 1 laxido sachet a day which also helps me … maybe laying on your side with a hot water bottle up against bum cheeks may help

Emma x

• Hi Julie,

Thank you for replying, yes there is a contact number on the letter I’ve received so I will give them a ring on Monday and see what they say.  I didn’t have any stitches from my biopsy but have experienced this pain since this was done, I do have sitz bath although I don’t think this will help this pain unfortunately. 

Kindest regards, Adele. Xx

• Hi Emma, 

Thank you for replying, no you’re not far behind me, I hope you don’t have to wait too long for your dates. I do lay on my side a lot, I will definitely give the hot water bottle tip a go, thank you.

Take care, Adele Xx

• Hi Adele , 

I start week 5 of treatment tomorrow . I was in a lot of pain before my diagnosis .. I found the hot water bottle to be my best friend , laying on one side , music to take my mind of it and today the sitz bath has joined my gang.

I had quite a few rectal bleeds before treatment and it freaked me out .. I will take the pain and discomfort at the moment anytime over those bleeds .. only just started taking paracetamol .. try and relax , rest , eat if you can , but if you can’t , drink plenty and take fortisip to add protein … 

take care 

Chrissie xx

• Hi Adele,

A solid start date is a help, but when you're in pain, it's hard to feel much else, isn't it?

My cancer center (in the US) was good about working with me on times. I too had a drive of a little over an hour, and after the first week I had people drive me every day and I wanted to inconvenience everyone as little as possible. But talk to your drivers first- most of mine were happy to go early and then go on about their day. 

I still find that soaking in a warm bath with Epsom salts is the best way to soothe a sore bottom. But for the times when it felt swollen, as it sounds for you, I'd make a mini ice pack from a sandwich bag of ice water and a damp washcloth and tuck it in gently. 

Gentle hugs

Suz

• Hello Adele

I would call the radiotherapy department first thing on Monday morning.  They can normally change appointments and I think your circumstances merit adjustments especially when the hospital is over an hour away and you are reliant on friends.

I am sorry that you are in pain, I would call your treating team about that too, it could well be that your meds need tweaking and thy may prescribe a larger dose.

I hope you get changes to suit and to help with your pain.

Sending a gentle hug

Irene xx

• Hello Coco 70, I'm thankful you now have your treatment dates but so sorry you're in so much pain. 

I would definitely call and explain your situation to see if they can change your treatment time. They scheduled mine for  1:30pm which was great for me because I'm not an early riser. I am 12 years out cancer free Praise the Lord!! I stay on to offer any suggestions and hopefully encouragement! This group was a lifesaver for me everyone was so nice to jump on to help each other. 

As far as your pain the sitz baths are are wonderful. I used the  plastic sitz bath for toilet seat so I could use it more often without having to get in the tub. If that doesn't help relieve your pain I would try another pain med. Percocet is the only thing that worked for me.

I hope you get some relief! 

God bless, Theresa

• Hi Chrissie,

Well done in getting to week 5 of your treatment, it must be very satisfying to mark the days off, I hope all is going well for you. I will certainly give your very useful tips a go.

Stay strong, best wishes from, Adele. Xxx

• Hi Theresa,

Thank you for taking the time to message, it’s so lovely to read that you are 12 years cancer-free.

i will ask about the alternative pain relief and see if this might be an option for me.

Thanks again, take care, Adele. Xxx