Meeting in Manchester on 13th July

• 10 replies
  • 41 subscribers

posted last week and mentioned a meeting that was being held local to her, and I discovered more details.  I thought this might be of interest to forum members in the area, I would love to go but it is a bit too far for me, it is being held at The Christie NHS Foundation Trust Wilmslow Road Manchester M20 4BX on 13th July.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/anal-cancer-health-wellbeing-event-tickets-530423339487

I would have SO many questions!

Irene

• Thanks for posting this Irene, I would have gladly done the couple of hour car journey & attended this event but unfortunately my eldest daughter has a cardiology appointment on the 13th & I need to accompany her to this, I’m gutted, it couldn’t have been any other day!! I also would have many questions to ask. I hope some of our members manage to attend. 

Nicola 

• I'm actually in Manchester that very day only an hour train journey for me but I'm going to Lowry theatre to see Romeo and Juliet ballet! Would have been very interesting and i would have gone along any other day with being so near.

Carole x

• Thank you for sharing this Irene, I am currently being treated at the Christie but hadn’t heard about this. I can’t actually go as it’s my last day in work before I am off for my big op and I actually love my job so don’t want to miss any more days. I hope they do another one though!

• Kirsty, I'll be thinking of you and keeping everything possible crossed that things goes well for you.  Please come back and let us know how you are.  And enjoy your last day at work!

Irene xx

• Wishing you the very best of luck with your surgery  , I’ll be thinking of you.

Nicola 

• Thanks for posting about this Irene. Think my mum might be going so hopefully I’ll have some info the feed back depending on how it goes tomorrow.

.good luck with the surgery mrs KS 

• Ah so I’ve had the feedback on the event. Unfortunately the consultants were called away to cover the strikes for the junior doctors so was far less input from them that was initially planned and it was nearly called off one of the nurses said.

apparently there were presentations on how the treatments have evolved over the last 5-8 years. They used to be quite general just chemo really. But now far more sophisticated.targeted specifically for anal cancer, with a focus on tailored treatment plans chemo radiotherapy and immunotherapy which is the future apparently.

not much we don’t already know. Feedback was given and people said they wanted to here about trials and people who had been on the trials previously and consultant comments.

sorry I can’t provide any more info really. Al

• Thank you so much for that Alex.  I really debated whether to get a train up but of course I had forgotten about the junior doctors' strike and it would have probably been an almost four hour journey each way so it is just as well I didn't.  Hopefully they will hold more meetings in the future.

Irene x

• Thank you very much all for the luck. My surgery is not until 27th but I am having a bit of time off first with my children as I will be out of action for a while. I just really hope they surgery works. I’m glad I didn’t take extra time off for the meeting at The Christie if it wasn’t with the consultants. I’m sure it was still interesting. Will try the next one!

• Thanks for the update  , hopefully there will be another conference where more consultants will be able to attend, I would definitely like to go.

Nicola