5 Years on!!

• 31 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hey guys,

Well today was my final surveillance appointment & I’ve been discharged yay!!

Now don’t get me wrong I’m over the moon & very, very grateful that I’ve reached this point but I feel strangely flat instead of the expected elation. My surgeon didn’t show & I was seen & examined by an another Dr who I didn’t know & who didn’t know me, she introduced herself as ‘one of the team’. On having the dreaded DRE she had a really good dig around!! She had small hands & for that I was truly thankful (you’ll all completely understand that one!) I’m not sure if she was narrating the examination for me or if she was thinking out loud but she said there was some narrowing (tell me something I don’t know) & that there was radiation damage to the skin she also mentioned a rough area on the very edge of the locality where my tumour was & then said ‘but I think that’s just radiation damage or scar tissue’. I felt a little unnerved, I proceeded to ask her twice following that if she was sure that was nothing to worry about to which she replied yes it was nothing to be concerned about. I just have to accept that but oh I wish she hadn’t verbalised it. She did say if I had any future concerns to just call & someone would see me. 

I also asked if there was anything documented from my biopsy etc., as to say whether my particular case was HPV related, she said that as a hospital in the case of anal cancer they don’t test for HPV, the reason being that it would have no baring as to the course of treatment & with HPV being untreatable there would be no treatment to resolve the HPV afterwards so I’m still non the wiser on that one! When I told my daughter she said you would think they’d want to know for statistics really which I agree with. 

Anyhoo I’m sure over the next few days the news will sink in that I’m all done with surveillance & even though I seem to have dodged the whole elation thing I’m still going to celebrate this day during the couple of weeks to come. 

Nicola 

• Hi Nicola

Great news, am really pleased for you 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Amazing Nicola, huge congratulations!

I can understand how you must have lots of different emotions about it.

Like you say, am sure it will start to sink in as time goes on and you can enjoy those celebrations! 

It really is fabulous news.

Deb x 

• Oh Nicola!

Absolutely wonderful news, I am SO happy for you.  Pity about the doctor thinking out loud, but take it at face value - nothing to worry about.  Let it all sink in and then go celebrate!

Irene xx

• Oh Nicola, it IS great news and I'm so chuffed for you.

Also kinda not surprised about the flatness. I felt that way after I finished treatment, then again when I got the remission news. Pleased, grateful, but not elated.

It might be one of those long, slow sink-ins too. You'll be watching a sunset in 5 months and suddenly you'll be laughing and crying and yelling 'I"m alive!!!!' like Frankenstein's monster and we'll all toast you.

Hugs

Suz

1. Wonderful news Nicola, I'm so happy for you!
    2. Love Moira x
  • Sorry about the numbers, no idea where they came from! x

• Ahh Nicola well done making the five year mark! It’s a shame you had to see someone else on your last visit as you kind of build up a relationship with your oncologist who you come to trust. My oncologist is really lovely and after reading your post I wondered how I would feel not seeing her on my very last day. Yes is doesn’t take much when you hear the words I think! But then I think we become very sensitive, I know I am and as I am coming up two years post treatment, yay, it still doesn’t take much to get a different symptom and my imagination can run riot. I too was told I have anal shortening and I have a skin tag as a result of a biopsy which at the moment has split into a fissure I am presuming and been very uncomfortable and I was doing so well but at least these set backs become less and less. I see my oncologist tomorrow so will let you know how I get on. Being five years I would hate the thought of you leaving us as I have found you a great staple and comfort when we have hiccups occur during our five year probation period. Come the weekend I think you should put your feet up with a very big glass of your favourite tipple. Xx

• Thanks so much Jane.

Nicola

• Thanks Deb, yes it was a strange one that’s for sure! 

Nicola 

• Hi Nicola

Congratulations on your great news! I do completely get the feeling of not being elated, as it’s harder than it might seem to feel that way. I also understand the feelings of unease when consultants think out loud and don’t understand the impact of their words. Nonetheless, it is very good news!

Strange that there is no hpv testing, even from the point of view of information gathering to inform the statistics, despite the fact there’s no treatment for the virus itself. 

Enjoy celebrating your discharge from surveillance!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm