Confused and questioning

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Good morning everyone this is my first time posting and I'm all of a tizz to be honest. I recently had my smear results stating I have hpv and servere cell abnormalities and have a colcposcopy booked for Monday to look at the cells in my cervix, 8 days after I revived the results. I have irregular bleeding hip pain (don't know if this is the same as pelvis pain) and felling of fullness or heaviness in my vagina and back passage constantly. Anyway I've had these lumps protruding from my anus for months now and I just thought they were hemorrhoids however they're not itchy or sore, they're just there in the way, they're not red just my own flesh colour. I sometimes get constipation but not enough to worry I just put it down to I need to eat healthier on this occasions, mostly I need to go to the toilet a few times in the morning. I've not thought anything of it until I was diagnosed with the hpv and now I'm concerned. Should I ask about it at the colcposcopy on Monday or am I just being silly and overthinking? Any advice on what to do I'd really appreciate I mentioned it to a friend who said to just focus on the colposcopy but what if its all connected? Thank you for reading my ramblings x

• Hi and a warm welcome to our group. I'm sorry to hear of your current problems but at least you are on the way to getting them sorted out.  Many years ago I had severe cell abnormalities like you and had a colposcopy (which was painless). I then had cryosurgery where the abnormal cells were frozen from my cervix. HPV was found and was the cause of the abnormal cells.  It was not cervical cancer but the cervical cells were pre-cancerous. Following treatment I had smear tests every year for 5 years and luckily had no further problems.     Unfortunately, almost 3 decades later, I was diagnosed with anal cancer (HPV related). My symptoms were that I had an anal lump and bleeding pretty much every time I had a bowel movement.  I am now 3 years post-treatment and am currently 'no evidence of disease' (in remission).     The vast majority of anal lumps will have another non-sinister cause ie haemorrhoids but it is very important to get any anal lumps checked out. Anal cancer does have a good success rate for a cure but the earlier diagnosis takes place the better.   I would most definitely mention this when you have your colposcopy, the doctors need to be aware of all issues.   Please let us know should you have any more questions or concerns.  If you would like to obtain further information or support in connection with your cervical issues please click on the following link https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/cervical-cancer-forum/   Bev x

• Hi Hetty, and welcome to the most supportive, wonderful community that no one wants to join!

I don't know a thing about your particular situation so no practical advice to offer. But you absolutely should ask about ALL of these issues at your colposcopy and don't for a second feel silly! It's SOOOO much smarter to ask our trained medical professionals about issues we are actually experiencing than to feel too silly to bother them, or run to Dr. Google.

I'm glad you're getting this looked at. I'm looking forward to you posting about good news afterwards.

Suz

• Hi 

I can understand your concern, and have come over from the cervical group to see if I can add anything.

HPV will be the cause of your cervical cell changes, and if they are severe, they would need to be treated. But you should also be investigated for your anal issues and your other symptoms, which you are definitely not overthinking. 

I would mention everything at the colposcopy, but the only thing that would be done there normally is a detailed examination of your cervix to identify (by putting a liquid onto your cervix) the exact areas of the abnormal cells. It would be common too at this point to take a punch biopsy so that these cells can be analysed at the lab to ensure that the results match the smear results. 

It is not common nowadays for cryosurgery to be carried out as this destroys the cells and doesn’t allow analysis, so the usual treatment would be a LLETZ procedure where the cells are taken off and can be sent off for analysis. 

The doctors do need to be aware of all your issues, but I would think it likely that you may need to be referred for other tests if the doctors think there is concern about the lumps and your other symptoms.  Hopefully there is a straightforward explanation, but really best to get everything checked out, and hopefully everything will be fine. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Bev thank you for your reassurance and information given, I have no bleeding but I will mention it at my colposcopy on Monday and book a gp appointment also. I'm glad you are now cancer free that's great news, thanks again x

• Thanks Suz, I have vowed not to use Dr Google as its always worst case, this forum is great and I've read so many positive outcomes thank you for messaging x

• Thank you Sarah, I will mention it at colposcopy and book a gp appointment also. Reading other people's experiences has been really helpful in knowing what to expect and work have given me the following day off incase lletz is needed and I want to rest up a little, I work in a nursery so it's very busy and physical (and the best job in the world). I have great support from my fiancé and family but I live alone with my children and trying not to let this affect me in front of them so this forum has been a wonderful base of knowledge and experience.