Great Analogy

• 8 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi everyone, I’ve just read this elsewhere & thought I’d post for you to have a read if you’d like to. I related so much & it explained what receiving a cancer diagnosis was like for me & subsequent treatment & thereafter. I’m sure some of you can relate also. 

www.cancerpal.co.uk/.../what-it-s-really-like-to-receive-a-cancer-diagnosis

• Thanks that's brilliant you do such a great job on this forum you know what to say 

• Thank you  I appreciate your words, I think this comes from having walked the same or similar path. 

Nicola 

• Thanks for posting that   for me the words about how mentally exhausting it is  to live in a state of perpetual uncertainty and fear really do show how difficult the psychological side of cancer is, even after your first 'all clear'.  So glad we have this group for support! Bev x

• Thankyou Nikki, when I started reading this I started to think what is going on. You then see the emotional up and downs you experience and I wonder if you ever get over that. I said to my husband recently does the fear ever leave you or do you just learn to live with it better. I am training my thoughts to say you are showing no evidence of disease and that’s great but I think we are easily tipped over if we have any unusual symptoms appear and your thoughts go straight to what if’s. I have had a on and off cough for over a few months now and they have listened to my chest and I’ve had an X-ray showing no infection. I kind of wish it was an infection as I could blame the coughing on that. They said it could be post nasal drip and producing just mucous but as I said we can easily start looking at everything that happens to us with suspicion.

• Oh god  I’ve suffered with post nasal drip following covid & most recently a head cold & it’s awful it can go on for what seems like forever! I hope yours clears soon. I sometimes think we’ll all forever be waiting for that mountain lion in the fridge!!  

Nicola 

• This is so brilliant, it has brought me to tears reading it, so true!

• Hi , it wasn’t intended to make you cry lol… but on a serious note I could relate so much to this & felt I needed to share. The part that describes the mountain lion (our cancer) & the bear (our treatment) also affecting our nearest & dearest & as Bev () has said the mental exhaustion related to living with the uncertainty of it all. It was an imaginative but incredibly accurate analogy. 

Nicola 

• Thank you so much for posting this, to me it sums everything up that I'm feeling! My family have been wonderful but once I was told " no visible cancer", everyone seemed to think that was IT! I was cured! Now, of course, that my first scan after that, is due, they don't know why I'm so scared! Thanks to this article, they do! Like Pita, I was also in tears but it's so reassuring to have people like you and this group to always be there for us!

Moira x