Only Day Three and Constipated

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi all, I started my treatment Monday with the first day having intravenous chemotherapy and then radiotherapy. I did not expect to have such a stomachache on the third day just passing pellets! The radiotherapist said it would not be the radiotherapy causing it and more likely the chemotherapy. I expect I shall have the other after this. She told me to take  some senna which hopefully will give me relief tomorrow before my early morning appointment. I have read on here that some take lactulose and is this better? 

• Hi ,

My advice would be to ask for some stool softener sachets on repeat prescription. These have been lifesavers for me as unusually I was constipated throughout & after treatment. My surgeon told me not to take laxatives but stool softeners were fine. I’ve always used Movicol or laxido. 

Nicola

• Thank you Nicola. I have my first rad review tomorrow and will ask. I had very little sleep with so much discomfort and did not expect to feel like this so soon! 

• Hi 

I was prescribed Laxido initially and the Normacol by my radiographer reviewer. I kept taking the Normacol right through and for about 5 weeks after treatment finished. Gradually reducing. It seemed to keep my BM soft, certainly no constipation which was my fear as painful enough anyway!!!! Hope you get sorted soon! 
    Ruth 

• Hi Ruth thanks for that information. I have had constant pain in my stomach since Tuesday evening just under the chest. It is so sore and now I’m thinking it may be the medication but will be seeing the oncologist nurse tomorrow so hopefully will see what she says.