Question

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question.......Is tumor size determined by the size of the tumor only or by the other tissue close to it? Does that make sense? The surgeon removed what she could of the tumor which she said was about 1.5 centimeters. But the oncologist says 3 centimeters. Do they measure the depth, width, and length? Sorry if I’m not making sense but I’m trying to figure out what stage. I won’t have scans until next week. Still worrying! 
Meg

• Hi ,

There’s no straightforward answer to this I don’t think as there are lots of factors that go into the staging including size, surrounding tissues affected by the tumour, lymph node involvement & metastasis to other organs. My surgeon gave me measurements of 2cm in diameter & 2mm depth with no lymph nodes involved & no metastasis, I was staged stage 1.

This really is the worst time, waiting for scans etc., as your in a constant state of worry & imagining worst case scenario so I completely understand how you’re feeling. 

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help & I know how difficult it is but it really is best to wait until your Dr’s have all the relevant information & then you’ll have an accurate answer. 

Nicola

• Hi  my Consultant told me when my tumour was removed for biopsy that they got to the measurement is 2.1cm by rolling the tumour up into a ball and measuring it that way. I’m not sure if tumours are always measured in this way though. This is a horrible time, please don’t hesitate to come back on for support whenever you need to. Bev. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to 1in1500

I know I’m asking crazy questions but not knowing what’s going on is terrible. I want to get all of the scans and appointments over and start treatment. It seems like everything is taking for ever. The support I’ve found here is awesome! I see the surgeon tomorrow and will hopefully have more information.

• Hi  you’re not asking crazy questions at all. You just want answers and I hope you get all the information you need tomorrow. I used to write things down in the appointments as there’s so much information to retain. Hope all goes well. Bev. 

• Hi ,

I just wanted to echo what Bev has said, your questions aren’t crazy, they’re questions we all had in the beginning. Jot all of your questions down on a piece of paper or better still a notepad to take to your appointment & then you won’t forget anything you want to ask & you can also make a note of the answers your surgeon gives you, you’ll probably have a lot of information relayed to you at the appointment & if you’re anything like me I forgot to ask most of what I wanted to! 

Wishing you the best of luck with the appointment I hope it goes well. 

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m kind of in the same boat, had surgery May 3, got cancer diagnosis one week later (this past Monday). The oncologist won’t see me until after the scan which isn’t until May 24, so it’s going to be a scary time of imagining the worst, as the tumor was misdiagnosed as hemorrhoids and has been there about a year. Sorry I can’t answer your question but I hope you have good news soon!

• Hi , 

Welcome to the online community although I’m sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. The waiting around, especially right at the beginning is awful isn’t it?

Your oncologist will want all of your scan results etc., so that he/she can accurately stage you & therefore provide the most appropriate course of treatment for you but that doesn’t help you does it?  

Unfortunately you’re not alone with the misdiagnosis of haemorrhoids, this happens way more than it should & GP’s seriously need alerting to the fact that cases of anal cancer are on the rise! 

We’re here for support whenever you need us, we’ve all been where you are right now & totally understand the stress that surrounds the situation so please if you have any questions or just need a chat just ask. 

Nicola 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Thank you so much Nicola, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your kind words!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I’m Jennnny, 

It is a scary time waiting for results. I’m also having trouble with my insurance company not authorizing some of the scans I need. Its frustrating!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That’s terrible, as if it’s not stressful enough! What country are you in?