Going into third week

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Just finished my second week of radiochemo and feeling a little brighter actually. For the itching oncologist said I can take antihistamine, so that's helped a lot. I have underactive thyroid and suffer greatly with constipation. Now my stools have softened toilet is so much easier, although a bit of a dash. Most of the time I'm the old me but then like somebody pops me and I need to lay down and sleep for an hour, recharge my batteries. Last night, although I woke twice for a wee, I slept 12 hours. And I feel brilliant today. After 5 days of 6 hours traveling to and from treatment, today feels like a spa treatment. 

The pain of the radio therapy was the bolus which goes against my tumour on the outside to tell the machine where it is. The radiologist wrapped it in tissue paper and voala no more pain from it

I think all the troubles I've had are mostly down to anxiety and not knowing what to expect. Like your in a dark tunnel and don't know what's happening or what's coming. Likevyour minds shut down n you can't think. ....BREATH .....As the time goes by, things fall into place. You find a way to cope which is good, or works, for you. 

Onto week 3 with a much more open mind, more knowledge. And the knowing that any help, advice, questions you need to speak to the people who are looking after you. Even this itching drove me mad but so simple to sort. Good luck and hugs my friends 

•  So glad things are improving, you’re right - it’s a steep learning curve & it helps when you know what’s going on & what’s about to happen.

6 hours daily travelling, ouch!  Enjoy your travel free weekend & imagine how good it feels when you don’t have to do it anymoreBlush  xx  Toni

• I'm glad that you are feeling a bit less 'troubled' shall we say! I was the same, as the treatment got to get more routine I calmed down at least enough. I can't even imagine travelling 6 hours in one day for your treatment! Enjoy your weekend break my dear xxx 

• Hi , 

I’m so pleased you seem to have settled into your treatment a little better. In the beginning the fear of the unknown & the anxiety this creates can lead you down a very dark path & that can be really difficult to manage. Once you begin to settle into a routine though this generally eases & it becomes a means to an end. Those weekends are a welcome break though aren’t they? 

Antihistamines work really well for the itch & that prickly ‘ants nest’ feeling that can set it!… My advice would be to go with the flow where the fatigue is concerned, unlike tiredness fatigue is difficult to fight it’s best to just rest when you feel you need to, my fatigue was nothing that a nana nap on an afternoon & an early night couldn’t remedy. 

You can do this, you seem to be coping much better now & you’re approaching the halfway mark & that’s amazing! Keep checking off those sessions on your schedule & you’ll be at the end before you know it. All the very best of luck for week 3.

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Thankyou everybody. This group has helped enormously. I don't post much but I read a lot. You have given me the help and the push I've needed at times