Knickers

• 15 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi, I have been searching for information on comfortable clothing to wear during chemoradiotherapy which I understand leaves you extremely sore in the nether regions. Mostly what comes up is clothing to wear during treatment of breast cancer. I am not a skirt person at all and looked to see what knickers could be best worn. At home you could go knickerless but travelling to and from hospital I don’t think I can do that. I have read on hear some have worn boxers but they would bunch up I would have thought. I ve looked for maxi skirts but I’m just over five foot tall and tiny. I have actually bought some harem trousers but they are a bit transparent so couldn’t go knickerless in them! Any ideas would be gratefully received. 

• I would avoid going without knickers - the treatment can leave your tummy "loosey-goosey" and it can be a race to find the nearest toilet. I bought men's boxers - they didn't ride up and afforded some protection from unexpected events.  I wore loose skirts as I could just hike them up over my waist for treatment and they didn't press on or chafe my tender bits (both back and front).  Also, never trust a fart.

Robin
  • Hi 

You’ve had some great advice there from , I was very lucky that my symptoms didn’t really affect my choice of clothing until after my last session, I was able to continue wearing normal underwear & jeans, baring in mind I had 5 less radiotherapy sessions due to being in a clinical trial. A lot of people here have gone on to wearing men’s boxer shorts towards the end of treatment & for the couple of weeks afterwards, I think avoiding any elastic etc., in the groin is the thing. In preparation I did buy some harem pants so they were more roomy than my usual & they paid dividends in the 2 weeks post treatment, I literally lived in them with cotton underwear. Hope this helps a little. 

Nicola

• Hi, well I might just buy another pair of harem trousers which are super comfortable in the heat. I now have finally heard from the hospital regarding a PET scan next week. Just praying that if I have treatment it will be for the least duration. In the meantime I am trying to gather as much advice as possible.

• I wore those elasticated floral trousers which were a boon for radiotherapy as I just pulled them down and they didn't get in a bunch like a skirt or dress.   I tried larger size knickers, never managed to get any boxers..

I was very sore in the groin area if I wore anything which touched so found the best thing was to cut up some cotton pillowcases into strips, which I popped across my pants, covering the elasticated part which rubbed the groin.  This way I felt most comfortable.I

Hope this makes sense!

Wishing you well.

Beryl

• Thank you for that Beryl. I suppose you could also use muslin squares too!

• I wore joggy bottoms for the hospital, the RT machines are kept in the basement at low temperature to protect their delicate little mechanisms so the whole area is chilly.  Good luck!  Toni

• Thank you Toni, that’s useful information to know. Warmish clothing then!

1. i got womens boxers from freemans catalogue..i bought 2 packs 2 different styles..i've tried them aready for when i need them and they were comfy and stayed in place x
  • I have found the Marks & Spencer Cotton Lace High Rise Cycling Shorts £8 (buy 3 get 4th free)

Product code: T618580E

to be indispensable- I bought them a size or two bigger and they are perfect. I don’t even feel as if I have anything on and I can use the Polymem dressings and these keep them in place.  No elastic to rub in tender groin area like pants do. 

• Thank you for your replies. I am coming up to ten weeks post treatment and waiting for an appointment for an MRI to see if it has done the job. Still struggling with this nuisance fissure but apart from that I am doing well. This site and the lovely contributors have given me an awful lot. I know some of us experience horrible symptoms during recovery but it true what is said on here which is to hang on in there! When I think of the green pus and the sticking labia, frequent visits to the loo, painful genitalia etc, it’s easy to feel it will never get better. Take it slowly and be kind to yourself and it does. Now, what and earth am I going to do with half a chemist shop full of hopeful remedies that just didn’t work for me! Ha ha.