Chemo part

• 4 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi there

i am just wondering how the chemo affects people as there seems only talk of the radiation side affects? Is it because most people only have 2 sessions so not too much build up? Is hair loss a concern or not likely on this type of treatment?

thanks

• Hi  I had one infusion of Mitomycin on day 1 of treatment, then 8 tablets of Capecetabine Monday-Friday for 5.5 weeks. I felt sick from day 2-6 of the treatment, due I think to the Mitomycin but the anti nausea worked well. If you find the tablets they give you don’t work so we’ll do ask for an alternative. I had no other issues with the chemo. No hair loss although I know a few people on here have reported thinning. I did lose my pubic hair but that was due to the radiatiotherapy. It grew back after about 3 months. Head hair loss doesn’t seem to be much of an issue with these types of chemo drugs. 

• Hi ,

I had very few side effects from the chemo to be fair but again it’s one of those things that varies from person to person, I had slight nausea for a day or 2 following my initial infusion but I was provided with anti-sickness pills & they seemed to do the trick & the oral chemo didn’t make me nauseous at all & after the first lot of anti-sickness pills I didn’t ask for any more, I didn’t lose my appetite at all although I think the fatigue I suffered was probably a mixture of the chemo & radiation as your body is essentially being bombarded with a boat load of toxins so not surprising I suppose. It also depends on what chemo regime you’re on. Here in the UK it’s generally a mitomycin infusion on day 1 of treatment & capecitabine tablets twice a day each day of radiotherapy, in the US it seems that it’s generally a week on an chemo infusion pump at the beginning of treatment then again in the last week of radiotherapy, I’ve had contact with people in the US & the UK regime seems to be far gentler on your body. With the treatment plan in the UK my oncologist told me it’s quite unlikely that you’d lose your hair completely, mine thinned a little but not enough that anyone else would notice & the condition wasn’t great but again something only I noticed. Please see just ask if there’s anything else you’d like to know. 

Nicola

• Thanks 1in1500 sounds not too bad. Have a zoom meeting scheduled with oncologist for Mon so will know more about my treatment plan then.

• Thanks v much for you comprehensive reply, much appreciated. I am in Uk and have first meeting with my oncologist planned for Mon via Zoom. Looking forward to knowing more about my treatment plan so can make a plan!

thanks 

Kim