Aches, pains and menopause

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi, so I'm just over a year post treatment and recently had my year scan and all good, which is fab.

I just wanted to ask if anyone experiences lots of aches and pains following treatment. I spoke to my consultant who tried to provide some reassurance, but I just feel like it's hard to trust my body anymore and i seem to really focus on health related things probably more than i would normally have.

I think also it could be due to the menopause and they've kind of left it up to me to decide whether to try HRT.

So I'm just looking for experiences really on how people feel a year and more after treatment - the aches, pains and anxieties really.

Deb x 

• Hi 

Thats excellent news that your scans were all good, congratulations. 

It’s just my personal opinion but I think it’s the nature of the beast that we lose some trust in our physical well-being following a diagnosis of cancer or any other major medical condition for that matter. 

I’m 55 & just over 2 years post treatment & although I had niggles (osteoarthritis mainly in my feet) prior to treatment I feel my hips & lower back have worsened some what since the radiotherapy. I also now have sciatica which I didn’t have before! I haven’t gone down the HRT route but I do take some supplements which include a good quality multivitamin, EPA fish oil, a collagen supplement & vitamin D3 with K2. All of these are aimed at bone & joint support, especially the vitamin D3, as I knew the radiation would possibly effect my bones & with already having osteoarthritis I wanted to do what I could to help myself.  You’re probably right if you’re in the menopause, it’s often a cause of general aches & pains as the drop in oestrogen can cause many issues in our bodies including the beginning of degeneration of bones & joints. My GP checked my vitamin D levels at the beginning of the year & it came back the lower end of normal maybe your GP would check yours? a vitamin D3 supplement wouldn’t hurt though especially as we’re going into winter & wont be seeing much good quality natural sunlight for a few months. 

Many other members mention these aches & pains too so I don’t think we’re alone. I find gentle exercise also helps especially my hips & back. 

Hope that helps a little if only in reassuring you that it’s not abnormal to be feeling this way. 

Nicola 

• Hi Deb1, good news about your scan, you must be relived. I'm 1 year 2 months post-treatment. I get aches and pain in my hip bones and in my back and after also  riding a bile I get weird pains at the tops of the backs of my legs.  I am of menopause age and whilst I didn't pay much attention to these niggling pains before my cancer diagnosis every twinge now takes on a sinister undertone.  The radiation definitely does affect the pelvic bones. I think your pains seem entirely normal and fit in with my experience too but you're right to mention them to the Oncologist. In relation to the menopause have you had a FSH test? x