Anal Cancer Examination

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 37 subscribers

my wife was diagnosed with anal cancer in September. She went through 12 weeks of chemo and radiation and her pet scan came back negative. She then met with her surgical oncologist for her physical examination. When he examined her, he initially entered her anus and felt around to see if the mass was still present. He then removed his finger and then inserted it in her vagina to feel the upper wall to see if her could feel the mass. Is this normal? 

I was present during the initial physical examination and this did not occur. I did not go with her to her follow up where this happened. 

Thank you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Welcome to the online community and I am sorry that we have to meet under these circumstances but I hope that we can be of help and support to you in the journey your wife is about to start.

Unfortunately I can see where you are coming from with the regard to the invasive examinations your wife had which differed from the one you wife had when you were with her, let me try and out your mind at rest with the following

Macmillan Anal cancer 

The following is an extract from the above, maybe open up first for faster piece of mind.

Macmillan Anal Cancer - Diagnosis and Examination at the hospital 

It would appear that the vaginal internal is a perfectly normal test to be carried out.

I see that you have also contacted our (Missing Group) our volunteer expert Sanjaya, will respond to you early next week and hopefully he will elaborate slightly more on the nature of the examination.

Please feel free to ask any further questions that you may have, all the members in this group are very friendly and very knowledgeable who will share their experiences freely with you.

Ian

CC

NOTE By clicking on any of the green text above will open up new pages for you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for responding so quickly. I appreciate the information. The doctor never mentioned that this would happen so it obviously caught her off guard. 

Thank you

• Hi , 

Welcome to the online community although I'm sorry you’ve had the need to find us.

Regarding the examination your wife has had, i know a couple of our female members on the forum have had tumours that have encroached on the back of the vaginal wall but as for whether they’ve had vaginal exams in follow-ups I’m not certain! Hopefully one of our other members that have experience of this will see your post & be able to put your mind at rest. You mention that you didn’t sit in on this appointment, was your wife offered a chaperone? I almost always attend my check-ups alone & both my oncologist & surgeon always bring in a nurse before they examine me. 

Nicola