Week 5 done!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 35 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I can't believe I'm saying this, but week 5 done! Yes, it's been a short week as Radiotherapy are on hols tomorrow, Good Friday. I return to the torture chamber on Monday Grinning

I was given an Easter egg today, a gift from British Aerospace for 'cancer patients'. I struggle with that term. Yes I am one,  but sometimes it hits me and I think no! That's not me. But what a generous thoughtful donation. 

I don't know about anyone else but I feel a little like a farm animal waiting to be branded when I go for radio. Or even Mr Ben.  I go into the smallest room ever through one door, get my gown on then pop out the opposite side of the tiny room through another door. For some strange reason it makes me feel that way. It has to be said however that he staff are absolutely marvellous.

Well, it's not been as good as last week, and if you'd seen me in Morrison's this morning I looked like a needed a wheelchair, not a trolley. It is becoming increasingly difficult to walk as it is painful. Hey ho! I'm milking it and my husband is on 'fetch duties' when he is at home! 

Looking forward to ringing that bell on Thursday! That will be my next update. Then the pain will peak and I can slowly start to get back to my new normal hopefully, although most that know me would say I never was normal! No doubt the worry of 'Has it worked?' will kick in after then,  but right now I'm visualising ringing that bell. 

Happy Easter everyone x 

• Well done again and all the best to you.

Love the Mr Benn remark (showing your age).   It is  awkward when you are out and about, walking and sitting can be painful and its not the sort of thing you can talk about!

I used to have a little cushion in a cotton bag to slide under me in secret when I went out for a coffee, meal or the hairdressers.

I am sure you will find your own thing and hopefully your husband will continue to be a great help!

Take care x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m so happy you are at week 5 and an end is in sight . You have been so brave and I’m following you week by week Blush Did you have chemo this week - and are you taking morphine. I’m finishing week 2 tomorrow and the nurse is already warning me of what is to come . It’s very daunting .

Your doing great xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Am MCD

Thank you for your message and your kind comments. I dont feel brave, we dont have a choice do we? But we have a choice in how we deal with it. I've tried to lead a normal life throughout my treatment but I  know I am lucky and have not had the same side effects as some. All I can say is by not having the treatment is much worse, I refuse to let cancer or the treatment take control and I will beat this.

I am having tablet chemo which is 5 tablets every 12 hours for each day of radiation rather than IV chemo.

I have been given morphine but I am not taking it. Try Piriton - works for me.

What I am doing is showering/salted sitz bath after every toilet visit, drinking pints and pints of water, drinking a large glass of the highest concentration of Cranberry juice you can find each morning and really looking after my skin 'down there' with Nu-Gel. I'm being kind to my hair and exercise is an absolute no until the burns have healed. I've had worse sunburn tbh, altough this pain is constant

I too was read the riot act constantly and it is daunting. You will get through this, dont feel intimidated by this disease, tell it you aee boss - you CAN DO it.

If you havent already, jump on the CAN DO wagon and say FUCancer.

• Almost there, woo hoo!!! 

The Mr Benn analogy made me chuckle, I had a mental image of us all in that changing cubicle lol… 

The best thing is, by the sounds of it, is that you’re as prepared as you can be for what’s to come in the next couple of weeks & then as you say you’ll begin healing & start getting your life back. 

Have a lovely weekend, enjoy your Easter egg & ring the heck out of that bell on Thursday. 

Happy Easter 

Nicola x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well done!  As I have posted before, it's not how many sessions you have had, it's how few you have to go to the end of treatment.  Nearly there, and the new future that you hoped for beckons.  Live, love and enjoy it.  Love for the future Mxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well done!  As I have posted before, it's not how many sessions you have had, it's how few you have to go to the end of treatment.  Nearly there, and the new future that you hoped for beckons.  Live, love and enjoy it.  Love for the future Mxx

• Still laughing about Mr Benn !!!

However it made me realise the difference in hospitals and issues surrounding treatment   I was looked after very well, never given any daunting warnings, just gentle hints etc.   I was never told about Nu-gel but given flamazine which didn't suit.   After treatment a district nurse told me to mix this with a 50/50 moisturiser which worked.

Regarding changing into a robe, the only people who did this at my Sheffield hospital were the breast cancer patients.   I had read on here that it was best to wear long loose dresses or skirts but soon realised these were too cumbersome to roll up above my waist.   I ended up wearing loose flowery trousers which slid down easily.    These were suitable after treatment too and are currently my cleaning or gardening uniform, fondly known as my radiotherapy trousers!

I'm sure the type of treatment works the same for all of us and its that which counts!

Happy Easter everyone.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Wow almost there and still with a sense of humour, well done! 

Those blummin changing cubicles and then you emerge with your shopping basket full of clothes hoping you’ve got the right amount of water in your bladder or that you won’t pee it all out before you get on the rad table. The amount of times I was sent away to drink more bloody water, then I’d miss my place in the queue.

Hope your final few days go smoothly and fast. I remember my final week well, the fatigue really kicked in and I was walking like a John Wayne but it was a great feeling knowing it was over and the daily hospital trips were over. 

Enjoy the sunny Easter weekend. 

Sarah x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Strangely Sarah I've never had to drink any water ahead of radio. Maybe my bladder is somewhere else! Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m starting week 5 on Monday also. I’m hoping the chemo will go as smoothly as the first week. I’ve become very emotional over the last couple of days, it is really freaking my husband out. I will have two extra days of radiation at the end because one weather related day where they (the medical personnel)couldn’t  make it to the hospital. And one where I couldn’t fill my bladder. That is the hardest part of my treatment, I had a UTI and just couldn’t hold my water. I don’t think I will drink as much water when I get through with all of this business. I’m trying to keep a positive attitude! Over half way! Thank you for the wY you are documenting your journey. I hope you have a great Easter Weekend.

sunday